Power to starter motor

lensally

Hi there, first time posting here. I had an issue with my 1979 Corona rt132 the other week where I couldnt start it when i put the key in- there was just a loud click noise when i turned the key to the ignition position and then nothing. I replaced the starter and that worked for a while but now the car only cranks every 15 or so times i turn the key, every other time just makes the same click noise when i turn it to the final position. I have no idea whats going on but i suspect its a voltage issue or a connection issue but truly i have no idea. 

Any suggestions of other components to check? I was thinking the ignition relay might be a cultprit but after reading up about it, the symptoms seems to not be the same so not so sure anymore. 

Any help would be appreciated I'm racking my brain and I'm stumped

cheers

-Leon

Members dont see this ad

Welcome! This issue is common on these old toyotas, and probably old cars in general. A starter motor has the big thick wire that comes directly from the battery, and there is also a much smaller wire that goes to the starter solenoid.

The issue seems to be the wiring to the starter solenoid develops a loose connection somewhere and it reduces the current capacity. So what happends is the starter solenoid clicks but doesn't go far enough in order to engage the starter.

The solution is quite simple, you want to put a relay on the starter solenoid circuit. so the original 40yr old solenoid wiring turns the relay on, and the solenoid gets good clean current from the battery as well. I've done this to quite a few cars over the years.

Do you know how to wire up a relay? if not i think theres a diagram around somewhere. if not i can draw it out.

The other thing to check before doing this is that the main engine ground is in good condition.

Yeah I think you're right mate, from the looks of my engine bay I agree it's some dodgy old wiring playing up.

The ground from battery is a smidge dodgy but should be fine, I'll fix it up just in case, but I'm a little confused about wiring in a separate relay to be honest. If you could draw my up the diagram that would be super helpful. 

Cheers mate 

-leon

On 12/2/2019 at 5:08 PM, ke70dave said:

The solution is quite simple, you want to put a relay on the starter solenoid circuit. so the original 40yr old solenoid wiring turns the relay on, and the solenoid gets good clean current from the battery as well. I've done this to quite a few cars over the years.

I have wired up the new relay circuit and unfortunately it hasnt helped the issue at all. Its acting exactly the same which was a big dissapointment haha. 

Any other ideas on what it could be if not this? ive wracked my brain and I'm stumped 

cheers

Leon

Well, the usual ones are getting power to the solenoid and then the starter motor, and then earthing it back. Seems you have that sorted.

Then there's the contacts inside the solenoid that burn away until they can't provide enough power to the starter even though the solenoid clicks into place.

Then there's the windings in the starter, which your new motor should have sorted.

..and that leaves the teeth on the flywheel that get hammered out of shape as the engine always stops in the same relative position so only a few flywheel teeth every get smacked.

So, was it a new new starter and solenoid you fitted, or just another used one? Can you remove the starter and somehow view the teeth it will crash into each time on the flywheel?