My new favourite workshop equipment

parrot

Got these hydraulic wheel jacks from Sydney tools and they are brilliant for moving the cars around in the shed. 

E873D694-8C51-43CC-902E-BBDA7598B35D.thumb.jpeg.afa9580fd3b8ee15449c5be4876e446d.jpeg6B0CEBFB-0596-405E-8E18-82C22164EDB9.thumb.jpeg.4002967b5dc755622fb14eb91d61c9a8.jpegI was going to try and get away with a pair but will go back and get two more I think. $229 a pair. 

They actually work by squeezing the tyre up like a pimple. Pretty good, as long as they don’t break, but Corolla’s don’t weigh much. 

Members dont see this ad

Had not come across that particular "pinching" type before.  Brilliant !  Pete, at $ 229.00 per pair that is cheap, when compared to the Bahco ones, which are about 2.5 X that price.

Came across a video, demo'ing their use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqpQZaXQ9YQ

I think this guy is trying to raise some money, or solicit donations, so he can put some "topping on his garage floor !

Cheers Banjo

haha yer that guys concrete looks as bad as my concreteing job. but mine was for a garden shed, not a garage! Actually his looks way worse. 

i have previuosly used those pinching ones on a supra. which would be heavier than a corolla. i suppose even if the car is 1600kg, its only 400kg per corner. 100kg per wheel. nothing too extreme. 

I was going to see if I could get by with just the pair, but why make it hard for myself. I happened to buy the first two on a ‘trade day’, so got $50 of next purchase. So another pair for $179!

Next thing is to sort out some long span shelving. I’d hoped to go with a two post hoist, but just not enough room unfortunately. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Latest new arrival in the parrot shed, are gloves.  I've resisted these for many years, I mean, how stupid are they.  Can't feel anything, tools will slip, it's just a bit of oil with potentially dangerous contaminants etc.

Well of course they are none of those things.  Good feel, no cuts and nicks, and toasty warm.  And when I had finished removing the front end, I was able to go in and cook dinner for the family without even washing my hands.  

I did wash my hands, but I did think twice about whether or not to bother. 

I'm a convert, but not going for those disposable rubber ones.

Feedback on the cheapo Daytona jacks.  One is a bit niggly with a touchy bleed valve that doesn't like to stay tight, so may have to take that back for a replacement.

I've resisted these for many years, I mean, how stupid are they. 

Hi Pete,

Like you, I have resisted for years, on the same premise as you had.  Within the last year, I've  grabbed a set of "one size fits all",  $ 2 SuperCheapAuto ones, each time I'm in their local store.  They last a couple of weeks each time, so the expense is not great, & if you get them very greasy; then it is just "in the bin" with them.

image.png.ddfbf1eaccd599c821db9de7383a7b2b.png

Have found I have "warmed" to using them, & find I don't have so many nicks & scratches on my hands, as usual.

So far, so good !

Cheers Banjo