4K-c turbo blow thru setup with stock carby?

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

Hey mate cheers for the reply. I have just completed the setup today should be good to go. I tryed to start it but it’s not getting spark now. Was getting late so I’ll figure it out tomorrow. I have a 1.8mm drill bit I plan to drill the secondary jet with. Is this what you done? Also ive heard that the stock carb dosnt always hold boost but won’t know till I fire it up. Did you modify your carby much?

i have a rising rate fuel reg and vl pump to use just haven’t set it up yet.

Wastegate set at 8 psi 

Any info is apreciated 🙂

03D460F7-FEBF-4255-BBDD-F3BFA1E56907.jpeg

E804D380-39E5-4F1F-BA9D-C6DFB8563163.jpeg

Edited by Mr.pickles

Good luck !    I'd be interested to hear if it works.  My only initial reaction would be that you are not going to derive a very big "charged air"  temperature drop, across the inter-cooler, with it tucked up there, out of the direct "ram flow" air stream, with one surface so close to the bonnet.

Cheers Banjo

Yeah, it is awkward. I was wondering about horizontally above the fan and use an electric fan. Then you'd need an exit duct in the bonnet so air came in through the rad and upwards through the i'cooler.  Then I figured its easier to cut a hole under the i'cooler where it is and box air through it and upwards to go out a bonnet vent there. Maybe even fit an electric fan to the i'cooler itself instead of relying on passive airflow.

Put a couple of temp sensors in there Mr P, one before the cooler and one after, we will be fascinated to see what temperature drops can be achieved. It looks a simple cheap way to get some grunt. Taz can give you pointers about timing and mixture, he's the turbo K man.

Cheers for the input boys, it didn’t cross my mind at the time when mounting the intercooler. I just placed it there because it was a convenient spot for it at the time haha. A front mount would be ideal but I will probably just try a fan like you say. But I will probably moved it In the future. 

Ive read that if I lock the dizzy, and set timing to 20-25 degrees I should be pretty safe? 

As for fuel mixture I’m not to sure on 😕

could mabe tell by the colour of the plugs but I’m not the best when it comes to tuning but if Tas could tell me what size jets to use would probably get me in the ballpark 🙂

it is externally gated, so should be interesting. If I can get it to run half decent anyway haha

Cheers.

A0724E16-A395-4817-9351-DB4B799C9BD4.jpeg

D0633BBC-06D9-47F7-A3EF-7B71BE51526C.jpeg

If it is not a rude question, Mr P;  where is the battery located ?  I think I can see a battery terminal lead, sort of hanging around there, up near the thermostat cover, on the engine, but can't actually see where there is any place to locate the battery itself.  Maybe in the boot ?

Cheers Banjo

That’s a good question mate haha I have just been sitting the battery on an angle to wind it over lol

this is just a project I have been playing around with to pass some time. The car has no rego and is to rusty to repair. But if I get it sweet I’ll probably buy another regoed ke I love them haha

Well, if you moved the i'cooler upwards close to the bonnet, put a foam square around it for the bonnet to seal to, and put a rear-facing vent in the bonnet it will suck air up through it.

Do you think the carb will work without blowing petrol out backwards somewhere?  Taz enclosed his in a box so pressure was at boost inside and outside the carb. He's got a write-up all about it on here. 78pages long!  Hard to see the carb with Photofucket covering everything.

That’s a good idea mate! I might do that would work good enough I reckon. 

I thought about the box idea but it looks like a bit of a hassle. I seen a few videos on YouTube of people running blow thru setups thru the stock carby and it was holding up. But I amagine it won’t like it for to long. I’ll get it started in a couple of days and let use know how it goes. I drilled the secondary jet out. But should probably lock the dizzy before I go driving it.

i will take a vid and post it up when it starts

Update : started it up today for 30 seconds and all seems good so far, runs smooth and doesn’t leak any fuel! It does need an new manifold to exhaust gasket tho as leaks abit the moment. Damaged it when I took it off 🤦‍♂️ So will get onto one soon. Also the oil feed fitting does not suit the turbo and is leaking. So I will order the right one tonight. But besides that seems like a success. Won’t know till I get a chance to drive it but so far the carby works well. Will get a video of it running when the new oil fitting gets here 🙂

Also will get better info on how well the carby works. Couldn’t leave it running long enough to have a good suss.

836A7493-68D7-47E0-9E26-C8A815F0C123.jpeg

F8A63975-B8E2-4E1D-871C-4D4495C35368.jpeg

17F5FCCE-E4D8-4E66-8C79-60AA8504254D.jpeg

9CDB5CC7-16A6-4B22-9C35-7B4CAD46F57F.jpeg

Edited by Mr.pickles

Well done! 

Now you're halfway there! Sort the teething problems and then start the long difficult process of making it run cleanly.

I assume there's a boost gauge in there somewhere, what do you think it will hold before it blows up?   7psi? 10?  12?

Anything that is above zero will make it a lot faster!

oh- If you haven't drilled that second throat jet I wouldn't rush until you're driven it for a few weeks, you'd need to be pretty sure that is the right thing to do, and that size is the right size. If the stock jet is 1.53mm then the 1.8 will be 40% larger in area. Do you think you'll make 40% more power?

Edited by altezzaclub