3K Crankcase Breathing Inlet

Banjo

Most of the early K Series engines had a  PCV breather outlet point on the top of the rocker cover, & an inlet point, that was pretty useless, as it was in very close proximity.  I have modified my 5K engine by fitting a hole in the middle of the timing chain cover, which creates a crankcase  ventilation air path right through the crankcase, up to the top of the head.

DSC00849small.thumb.jpg.dbd6a8872bbaf9d57115e947e3d392fd.jpg

I noticed AKE030 has posted a picture of his 3K engine in "Cars for Sale" section, & that it depicts a rubber hose coming off the front on the timing chain cover, on his 3K.

15167755180221059194151.thumb.jpg.85df04caec4a492b839cbab35a33bfad.jpg.2e5f6ebd945140e7fadb65c0cd1695c3.jpg

I'd be interested to know where that hose actually goes, as that's the first time I have ever seen one, with the hose fitted ? ?

In a standard 3K series engine, the inlet for the crankcase ventilation, came off the top of the rocker cover, where AKE030 has the little after market filter, & it plugged into the underside of the standard carby air filter. 

I've had two (2) off these 3K timing chain covers over the years.

One had a hole & air pathway through it, but it was so small, it seemed to be useless.

The other had no hole in it at all, so Toyota obvious just used the blank timing chain covers, without drilling the hole.

DSC02297.JPG.1acf53aa43a4269f1310bed2c0fbe1c9.JPG

DSC02303.JPG.ebbff16e42db95a651eefa8a3612042e.JPG

I even had one that had the "flat" on the casing protrusion, "facing out", rather than up, with what appeared to be, a factory fitted stud & nut, fitted for obvious bracing or mounting of something.

DSC02320.JPG.bd90122f0bab8eaa4b38c1a7a48b9eb2.JPG

Cheers Banjo

Members dont see this ad

This is stetching the old memory by 30 odd years. 

My 1st Corolla, '75 KE35 with a 3K-H in it, had that timing cover with the breather. The hose went back to a valve thingy at the back of the head where it branched out into two.  One to the rocker and one went back under the floor. 

When the 5K went in, the timing case had no breather, so we just cut the hose and glued it to the back of the timing cover with no issues in operation. Eventually it was removed altogether...