Ke17 drum brakes performance?

Hi Guys new to this forum and new owner on and 1969 Ke17 fastback here in N.J USA. I'm a big fan of old school Toyotas and I've had own lots of TE's xx but never  corolla this old. Currently not running yet but let me cut the chase and jump to the main question, is this car in stock form  the brake system/ brake drums are safe to drive and how they perform? Can I get a feed back from you guys if your still driving your KExx on drum brakes all around please what's your opinion thanks in advance 😊 

Here's few pics of my lil project I will soon post my own thread of the progress. 

IMG_20200502_174941279.jpg

IMG_20200419_132617732.jpg

Members dont see this ad

My ke11 had ke20 disks fitted by the previous owner so I can't comment on good/bad with the drums BUT I'm fairly sure that I have a ke20 disk setup at home sitting in my shed.

Edited by kickn5k
Spelling

6 hours ago, kickn5k said:

Nice draglites BTW.

Thanks man, but I got rid of them few days ago. The last owner enlarge the holes to make them fit to 4x110 and they didn't look safe, so I had a set of Saab Carrol Shelby 15x5.5 that I'm going to refinish and paint them first. Also bought wheel adapters 4x110 to 4x114.3 15mm just to make it right. Is hard to find rims 4x110 here. 

IMG_20200526_212316591.jpg

Edited by ToyoracingKe10
Miss spelling

Front disc brakes were available in some markets but I don't think in the US.  As long as you don't mind paying postage, you should be able to source the relevant parts easily.  there is a write up in the wiki.  You will find the wiki at the top left of the main page in the blue bar.

It's also easier to fit larger discs from later corolla's which is also in the write up.

Contemporary road test reports when the cars originally came out were critical of the brakes as barely sufficient

Hi Carlos,

Welcome aboard !

Sadly, brakes, in general, were not a strong point, on most early Corollas.  That's why you will find plenty of different suggestions on this forum, & others, as to how to transpose disk brakes from other Toyotas to your KE17.  My KE30 has Celica RA65 struts, & rotors & calipers from two different  model Toyota Cressidas. 

Suggest you do plenty of reading & research before deciding on what to go for.   any queries, or questions, please give us a yell.

Cheers  Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Be aware that there are only a few few brake options for the 1x family that won't turn it into a complete poor handling death trap. They are ke20,30,55 and 70 brakes. 

I've been looking into strut changes for the last 12yrs and have found nothing even close other than ke20 struts and even they made my car sketchy at best.

Edited by kickn5k

9 hours ago, Banjo said:

Hi Carlos,

Welcome aboard !

Sadly, brakes, in general, were not a strong point, on most early Corollas.  That's why you will find plenty of different suggestions on this forum, & others, as to how to transpose disk brakes from other Toyotas to your KE17.  My KE30 has Celica RA65 struts, & rotors & calipers from two different  model Toyota Cressidas. 

Suggest you do plenty of reading & research before deciding on what to go for.   any queries, or questions, please give us a yell.

Cheers  Banjo

Thanks Banjo I will do my homework. I'm glad to be part of this community 👍

8 hours ago, kickn5k said:

Be aware that there are only a few few brake options for the 1x family that won't turn it into a complete poor handling death trap. They are ke20,30,55 and 70 brakes. 

I've been looking into strut changes for the last 12yrs and have found nothing even close other than ke20 struts and even they made my car sketchy at best.

I be driving like and old man not, really not looking to race or drift this car I just want it to stop and don't worry about having and accident on the road with this car. This cars are hard to find here in the States. I only be driving it every other weekend on good weather. 

19 hours ago, parrot said:

Front disc brakes were available in some markets but I don't think in the US.  As long as you don't mind paying postage, you should be able to source the relevant parts easily.  there is a write up in the wiki.  You will find the wiki at the top left of the main page in the blue bar.

It's also easier to fit larger discs from later corolla's which is also in the write up.

Contemporary road test reports when the cars originally came out were critical of the brakes as barely sufficient

Thanks man appreciate the info let me check it out 👍

Link to KE10 Brake Upgrade in the RollaClub WiKi

https://www.rollaclub.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ke10_Disk_Brake_Conversion

Here is another link, that is 10+ years olde, but might assist also, with ideas, & possibilities.

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/27635-ke10-front-brakesuspension-upgrade-options/

Edited by Banjo