Training Wheels Nightmare

Yeah that is the way to go !  I have used these before, & they work a treat.

I used one to measure the temperature drop across the radiator, on my engine on the test stand.

I already had a sensor at the top of the radiator, near the thermostat, so just needed a point on the lower outlet side of the radiator, so just cut the hose as shown.

DSC00865sm.thumb.jpg.33a8accb2416e488ed6a432dc00fc9b4.jpg

I think the one to suit your application is the 34mm one.  Pretty sure the top & bottom hoses are both the exact same size.   Remove top hose & check before ordering.

I think the Tridon 90-95 deg switch has two (2) insulated terminals, & won't be an issue.  However, when using these "hose adaptors" to mount a temperature sensor, you have to be aware that the adaptor itself, is one connection, but it is isolated from the chassis earth/ground, as it is insulated by a piece of rubber hose on both ends.  Hence why there is a black wire in the pic above, to ground the aluminium adaptor to the chassis.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad

Another even cheaper, & maybe easier way to fit the Tridon switch to control your thermo-fan, would be to simply drill a hole in the top of the existing aluminium thermostat cover, where the top hose attaches, & thread it, to take the Tridon switch directly.

I did this on my 4K engine, as depicted below, & it has been working perfectly for years.

DSC00527small.thumb.jpg.36cca50e14519142f5dc924eafef25d9.jpg.a116c17f830790aff3bcfeb10a76a337.jpg

There is even a K Series thermostat cover, that has a threaded hole in the top of this cover, for a sensor or valve, but I've only ever seen one, in all my years playing with Rollas.

DSC01493sm.jpg.1652f31ac8e274c581070ca76404c84b.jpg

There is a Toyota thermostat housing cover from an 18R motor, which were fitted to Celica RA23s through to RA40s, which had a threaded hole.  I've never seen one of these in the flesh, to see if it would fit the K series motor, or whether, the spout would point in the approximately required direction.

image.png.c3efd981597c5e46ecf6f2651ca598e4.png

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Thanks altezza and banjo, i am yet to do a little more searching on the thermoswitch and so on but am gonna get to it in the next couple days so i can ship the parts. I wouldn't have known to do anything more with it so cheers. Sorry about the late replies, ive been trying to do some research so i actually understand my issues before i jump on here without a clue.

But I have a few other questions 😕. (not sure if I'm doing this thread thing right. Ive kinda just piled questions onto a struggling to start post) But thanks everyone whos helped!

First off, i figured out that it was my diff that was whining. Well possibly transmission. Just throwing it up here in case theirs anyone who experienced this or is knowledgeable about it. It seems to be HOWLING at around 80ish kms when accelerating. My first solution was to replace my diff oil but i haven been able to do this since my cars to low for my jack. I'm gonna just make a little ramp at work tomorrow. But until then was wondering if there might be another possible fix.

Secondly, was hoping someone new if i could buy this part on ebay or something (below photo, slant front). Ive tried to search ke70 slant front corner light bracket / housing but can't find it. Maybe theres a proper name?. i messaged a wrecker hoping they can ship one over, just waiting on a reply.

I tried to edit a line in, but apparently it comes off. Its the red black thing in the corner, left side of the headlight. (connects to the corner light and headlight)

1812453742_IMG_26171.thumb.JPG.ee8249b560a0b4ad70665975299da978.JPG

also wondering if i should make different threads for different issues? (i seem to run into a lot) i eventually will remove the thread or whatever it is i do with this, when I'm actually able to get under the car and start having a look at my starter, might (will) have some questions about it. 

Cheers.

Nah, stick with one thread.. edit the title to "The Training Wheels Nightmare.."

The BorgWarner diffs are rubbish,  as whiny as all shit. Replace it with a Japanese-made banjo-style diff when you can. Any of the 5-link Celicas (imports) and some Coronas I think. Google banjo and salisbury diffs and see the difference in the way they are made. Banjo diffs have limited slip centers available for later on. Watch the ratio when buying one, you want a 4.1 or a 4.3 over a 3.9 if you can.  Maybe its got no oil in...  (black engine bay remember!)  You better get under this car!  I sometimes park a low car over the gutter to jack it up.

I can't figure out what you want for the headlight, I had a look at my slanty and it looks like that one in the photo but without the dent! Maybe another photo..