Factory numbers needed for 4K. Water Temp-Oil Temp-Oil Pressure......

focus218

Ok guys, I know it's useless for some of us, but I was just going through old posts and noticed that some numbers are controversial between us.

After checking my Toyota K Repair Manual I need some final factory recommended numbers missing:

1. WATER TEMPERATURE

2. WATER PRESSURE

3. WATER THERMOSTAT OPENING TEMPERATURE

4. OIL TEMPERATURE

5. OIL PRESSURE

6. FUEL PRESSURE

7. FUEL OCTANE

Members dont see this ad

You are over thinking it.

1 and 3 depend on which thermostat you use, but typically starts opening at 80 degrees Celsius  and aims for a working temp of 82 degrees. High temp type is 88 degrees

2 is irrelevant and will depend on radiator cap type and condition

4 isn’t really relevant unless doing competition work or towing

6 needs to be not too high or the needle and seat won’t shut off  from memory < 4psi

7 depends on compression ratio in your market/ modifications you may have made

Hi Dave,

Your comment reminds me of an event, in my early life at high school.  There were some boys in another much higher grade, that were already into cars.  I was still very much into push bikes.   The word got around that they were going to be doing something in a local quarry, with one of their cars.  Me & a mate hid in the bushes, & after about an hour, they turned up in an "olde" English car.  I think it was a Rover or something like that.  It looked a bit like this . . .

image.png.399949a00c5e0df699cbf28e2ce47d06.png

It had a very long bonnet, off memory.   We expected they were going to do crazy driving stunts, in the dirt in the quarry.  We were wrong.   They wanted to see an engine blow up !   They opened the bonnet, & started it up, & then placed a large rock on the accelerator pedal, so it was flat to the floor.  It screamed, & screamed, & they ran away from it, to a safe distance, where presumably, they hoped to get a great visual of this engine flying to pieces, with rods coming out through the side of the block.  Well, they waited, as did we hidden, & it just sat there & screamed, with no load on it.   After about 20-30 mins, it started to smoke a bit, but never blew up.  We learned much later, that they had also drained the oil from the sump, to ensure it seized & exploded.   It didn't, & the true story is, they apparently, returned to the quarry, the next day, with some more fuel, & drove it home.

Cheers Banjo          

Edited by Banjo