Toothed Trigger Wheel

Banjo

Members dont see this ad

Well the last of the external sensors got fitted to the 5K engine today, before the Speeduino, gets attached, & fired up.  It's been working on the bench very well.  The last sensor to fit was the TPS (throttle Position sensor)

On the 7KEFI throttle body, that is easy, as there is one built in, as standard.  However, I intend to do the Speeduino testing in two stages.  First will be ignition only, & then I'll add the injectors & EFI manifold.

Was wondering how I could attach a TPS sensor to a  5K carby throttle shaft, considering, it has no provisions for whatsoever.  This is only temporary, but it did work quite well.

A simple steel bar attached to the inlet manifold.

DSC01587sm.thumb.jpg.b0915f7f35f8b54ba1b9b3dce95c5b44.jpg

An old TPS, with broken mounting lugs glued to a separate bar, so I could line up the centre of the carby throttle shaft perfectly, with the TPS centre point.

DSC01585sm.thumb.jpg.4ba5d14056d06affd23c5378b50e13ba.jpg

A little home-made adaptor spigot, that screws onto the end of the throttle shaft, which already has a thread & nut.

DSC01589sm.thumb.jpg.9d586f583ff4b35989c50c47af394010.jpg

The TPS movement, is very light, so there is very little force transmitted through the adaptor.

Hooked the Speeduino up, & with the laptop,, running TunerStudio, & calibrated the TPS so that it's travel from idle to full throttle, reads 0-100% exactly.

Oh, engines are so easy to work on, when out of the car !

So roll it back into the garage, & hopefully, by this time next week, I'll have my little engine test stand bench there, hosting the Speeduino in it's enclosure.

DSC01593sm.thumb.jpg.c0d6d6e2a9e29c255ab02614a074bb4c.jpg

DSC01592sm.thumb.jpg.51ab82c91a41459ec2d9e777507abca8.jpg

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hi Si,

Careful!!.... it's a slippery slope when you start polishing alloy 🙄😂

Light brush with some aluminium cleaning acid. 30 minute rub, with one of those wet & dry thin sponge blocks from Bunnings.  Finally, 20 minutes, with some good olde Brasso, & a polishing rag.

That will do me !  My engine was never intended for Concourse d'Elegance.

DSC01598sm.thumb.jpg.d00c029d03582ea075a00f24f7736858.jpg

DSC01597sm.thumb.jpg.5af4bbf79362c54c5be8e04900e4ce1f.jpg

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hi Colin,

I think I've just worked out, what Si was on about with his warning.

Careful!!.... it's a slippery slope when you start polishing alloy 🙄😂

Once you get started on this polishing thing, it becomes an obsession, to remove every little micro-scratch, until you can see your own reflection in it.

Was in Bunnings yesterday, but finest grit wet & dry in stock was 1200 grit.  Grabbed a few sheets.

Off to SCA then, as I had some credits, which were just about to run out.  Grabbed some metal polish.

Last night, for 40 minutes, I rubbed  one end of the cover, & then polished it, & the difference was amazing.

Unfortunately, every time I've used my mobile phone this morning, I had to revert to my pin number for entry, as my finger print is no longer recognised !

"It's a slippery slope" indeed.   I've just instructed myself, to not even look at the "timing chain cover".  🥵

Cheers Banjo 

Edited by Banjo
  • Like 1

Got some 3000 grit wet/dry here at work that will help 😉

If you see it, grab some "Purple" metal polish.  Guys with alloy bullbars love it.

Ps. don't do the timing cover, it will Iook so good that you will start looking for the next thing to polish.. .. I even filed the casting marks and sanded/polished the inlet manifold.  

Haha you're starting to get it. I stated with the polished tappet cover as everyone does.... then the timing cover... thermostat housing.... the 7ke manifold (which must have been about 100 hours all up!).... alternator, dizzy housing, oil cooler plate.... intercooler, cooler piping... my ls1 coil brackets. Then I start making new bits like the thermo fan brackets.... it just never stops! 😉

Just like paint, a really good polished finish is all in the prep. Get it as smooth as possible. The actual polish bit should only be the last 5 minutes of work. 

Fyi, I prefer cream polish. I actually like to apply and rub it in with my bare hands. Just keep rubbing until your hands are nice and black. Wipe off the excess then rub as fast as you can with an old towel or the like.... or a buffer if you have one. 

I used the do a bit of casual work years ago at a place called 'The Car Artist' who was really busy doing all kinds of body kits back in the late 00's when fat and furious was popular. Most of my days were spent wet rubbing primed panels. I seriously did end up with bleeding finger tips, and yes... rarely had finger prints. 

What am I getting myself into here ?

https://www.theactivetimes.com/healthy-living/10-signs-you-may-have-obsessive-compulsive-disorder

One of the ten (10) primary signs, you have OCD is  . . . . . . . . 

"You scrub, clean, polish, vacuum, dust, and shine, but it’s still not enough. Over-cleaning is a sign of OCD. A person may be compulsively cleaning because they are trying to prevent spreading or being harmed, or because contamination may make them uncomfortable. Either way, individuals become so obsessed with cleanliness that it may start to interfere with their everyday lives."

No, I'm not going there; although, I do remember, I used to polish the chrome handle bars on my push bike a lot, when I was a kid.  What am I getting myself into here ?  Could the affliction, be coming back/returning ?  Better see the doctor tomorrow.  Hope Medibank covers it ?

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

• 3 months later...

Been a couple of months, but it's been a slow & different year for everyone I guess.  The Speeduino ECU underwent all the bench tests, &  has finally migrated to the garage, & got hooked up to the 5K engine on the stand, controlling the ignition initially, in full sequential COP mode.  After setting up the initial tooth wheel settings, the engine fired up, first time, & was rock steady, on the strobe timing light.

DSC01795sm.jpg.39af5c9ddc7d96bbcc7bbadf43d2935e.jpg

DSC01796sm.thumb.jpg.456faba3626cd37aec79e133b7987dd9.jpg

The trigger clamp on the timing light, designed to go around a spark plug lead, would not go around the exposed COP tube.  I used a work around, as pictured above, but discovered that the sensor would trigger the timing light, if it was placed close to the head of the COP.  It worked perfectly.

DSC01805sm.jpg.a6e91543cb47866a149a2d6aab213eb6.jpg

The removal of the distributor, requires it being replaced by a dummy drive shaft, to allow the camshaft to continue to drive the all important oil pump.  An old 3K Denso dizzy cut down, with a 35mm cup type welch plug as a cover, provided a perfect dummy drive shaft.

DSC01800.thumb.JPG.e8fe9d7ed7887771e1b04714d7a1daa0.JPG

DSC01802sm.jpg.9ec5df26748689fe92d96b28d04657d2.jpg

The synch pulse from the camshaft is provided by a Hall effect sensor that is mounted on the timing chain cover, detecting a single rare earth magnet, fitted to the camshaft sprocket.

DSC01803sm.jpg.7089a58f455d632ffe0a660748d20d16.jpg

So a week or so, playing around with all the Speeduino settings, & then it will be onto the next stage, of fitting my 7K EFI throttle box & inlet manifold, & hooking up all the fueling requirements.

P.S.  For those of us, familiar with rotating the dizzy to set initial timing, & watching the timing marks jump backwards & forwards, at idle, due to the slop & take up in chain & drive to the dizzy; the first thing you notice about crank toothed trigger wheel triggering; is how rock steady & accurate it is.

Cheers Banjo 

Edited by Banjo

• 3 years later...