1971 Corolla Coupe Ke25. 2tg Radiator question

Giday Rune,

Thanks for the pics.  Is that a four poster hoist, you've got your Rolla sitting ?   I wish I had one of them !   

With this "thin" radiator you have found, I presume you are still going to remove that bulky clutch / fan arrangement, & still fit an electric thermofan.

Is the alternator one with an external or internal regulator ?   I thought I spied a box on the engine bay wall, just across from the turbo, that looked like it could be an external regulator ?

If the alternator is the original, that came with the 2TG motor, then it shouldn't be too hard to find a wiring diagram for it, to see where those three (3) wires go to. The other way is to strip the ends of each of them, a little & check the continuity to other wires in the likely places, with the same colour code. 

Is it a Bosch alternator ?  Has it got a model number on it anywhere ?

I suspect it is an alternator, with a built-in regulator, so any wiring diagram, will indicate where those three wires go to.

Charge Warning light ?

Ignition Switch ?

Battery ?

Do a little research, & you should be able to solve it. Start off with the Charge warning light.  That one will be easy, & then that only leaves two (2) off.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad

Are those wires yellow/black, yellow/blue & yellow/green??   Are you sure they are alternator wires?

From the KE70 wiring diagram they are ,

yellow/black oil pressure sender

yellow/blue fuel warning light

yellow/green water temperature sender.

Alty wires with external reg are-

Red, alty F to ext reg F

Blue, alty N to ext reg N

White, Alty B to reg B and off to fusebox

White/black, alty E to earth point.

The KE70 may be different, but Toyota were loath to change things. The power to the battery, white, will be a much thicker wire.

Alty wiring.jpg

Edited by altezzaclub

Hi Rune,

This depiction, is probably how your alternator is hooked up.

image.png.4be55eff16371688d269ddeab765fc32.png

The battery connection on your alternator is not one of those three (3) light wires.  The battery connection, is the very heavy terminal, just showing in the top of your pic of the alternator connections, with the big "B" next to it.

The three (3) wires, are most likely, the same as the IG (ignition), S (sense battery voltage), & L (light - charge) in the above depiction.

So if you can determine which wire one is the charge light, which shouldn't be too hard, both remaining wires go to the battery.  One via the ignition switch, & one directly to the battery.

That last one, would be connected to the fusible link, which is usually very close to the battery terminal itself.

P.S.   Most of the alternators we have in Australian Rollas, with internal regulators, only have two (2) wires.  The battery sense, is quite often, just connected internally inside the alternator, to the "B" terminal. 

Let us know what you find.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

What appers yellow probably used to be white..   Colors  according 74`ke3 diagram   External regulator.:

White Green -  F

White Black - E (ground)

White Lightblue - N

White (a seperate fatter one, not part of the plug) B

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up question about the alternator wiring.. 

I found out where those 3 wires should go on the alternator.  But when i crank the engine over on the starter, the white wire with black stripe get super hot.   One time when i tried cranking the engine over a little to long it burned up, so i had to install a new wire.  Any ideas why?   i can see tojo2 has mentioned that it might be ground. Could it mean that my ground to engine is not good enough?   

Hi Rune,

If the white wire is getting hot & melting, when trying to starting the engine, then that would indicate that the white wire is carrying all or part of the very high current the starter motor pulls during cranking.

There are three (3) cables that carry this high current.

1.  The unfused "heavy duty cable", connected directly between the battery +ve terminal, & the starter motor.

2.  The earth/ground/chassis heavy cable between the engine block, & the chassis of the car

3.  The earth/ground/chassis heavy duty cable, between the battery -ve terminal, & the chassis of the car.

Check all of these, & their connections in particular, & you should find the source of your issue.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers  Banjo

On 7/20/2020 at 12:27 AM, Banjo said:

Hi Rune,

If the white wire is getting hot & melting, when trying to starting the engine, then that would indicate that the white wire is carrying all or part of the very high current the starter motor pulls during cranking.

There are three (3) cables that carry this high current.

1.  The unfused "heavy duty cable", connected directly between the battery +ve terminal, & the starter motor.

2.  The earth/ground/chassis heavy cable between the engine block, & the chassis of the car

3.  The earth/ground/chassis heavy duty cable, between the battery -ve terminal, & the chassis of the car.

Check all of these, & their connections in particular, & you should find the source of your issue.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers  Banjo

It is fixed now :). I had done a sloppy job with grounding the engine to chassis.    So i made som new cables and added one more, and it seems to be fixed now :)

finally had the first start up :)