k3twent

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Otherwise i was looking at something like the datsun 1200 wagon which has similar windows. ive seen replacement rubbers for those and so just trying to find out if its a roughly equal size. then i might be able to make them fit, but a direct replacement would be better.

SO maybe ill keep up with toyota heritage and see what they come up with too

Glass is glass, although it can vary in thickness.  And a seam is a seam.  Any other older style car with a fixed window is going to have a seal with the same construction.  As long as it is long enough, it could be cut down.

Amayama have come back to say they are checking stock for the strut tops and a couple of other items I ordered.  Experience suggests some items will be NLA, while some others will be.  Knowing my luck, only the lower control arm bolts will be available.......

I should say, Toyota Heritage are a great business.  Gary is very responsive to filling demand, but tooling up suppliers for his products is probably far more complex than we realise.

Edited by parrot
Toyota Heritage

On 6/26/2020 at 2:21 PM, parrot said:

Part Number for KE2x strut tops is 48609-12030

To my surprise it is showing on Amayama as available, which really only means it MIGHT be available. Anyway, I’ve ordered a set and will find out one way or the other. $190 a pair. 

Rock Auto showing $19.95 each for economy quality and $55 each for daily driver.  I won’t be driving my car more than once or twice a month so I’m thinking getting economy but what do you all think? I’m I wasting my money and effort getting economy? Has anyone used them before? Any regrettable experiences? 
Thank you all 

034AABE0-8A21-43DC-91C2-1ACA3F4E49BB.jpeg

Be warned that part number is for a KE70/AE71/TE72 or Tercel.  Will it fit a KE20?  I have no idea.

With respect to your question though, the daily driver item notes:

The Shock/Strut mounting is exposed to strong demands and influences of the weather and therefore it is among the commonly replaced wear and tear parts.

The consequences of a defect are perceptible:

• Loss of exact wheel control
  • Loss of optimal road contact of the tires
  • Unprecise steering behavior
  • Prolongation of braking distance
  • Increased noise
  • Decreased absorption of vibrations

Which one would you choose?  I once ended up in the middle of a freeway jammed on the end of a barrier rail after an aftermarket tierod end failed.  My wife to be ended up in hospital with a jaw fracture.  We were very lucky.  I always try and buy genuine for something like this if i can.  Or think ery hard about aftermarket if it isn't  

"Be warned that part number is for a KE70/AE71/TE72 or Tercel.  Will it fit a KE20?  I have no idea. "

I would say KE70/AE71 don't fit any other KE, they have a strange assymetrical hole pattern in the 3 studs at the top.

Measure the distances between the 3 holes and see if they are the same, older Toyotas tend to be, but KE70s aren't.

They're 111mm, 106 & 116 to the outside of the studs in each case.

From memory, ke20 are a we bit different to Ke30. 

Cracked a pair in the KE20 club car and only had Ke30 ones in the shed. Had to enlarge the top of the strut tower and relocate 1 stud a pooftenth to make them fit.

The big part wholesalers can be a good source but unfortunately the catalogues can prove pretty generic, especially with older models.

The Thai ebay guys are usually on the money with the right part, but some of their stuff can be a bit generic too, for example the door locks.  They sort of fit, but not very well as tey use the same one across multiple models.  And quality can be variable.

I think an issue with some of the aftermarket strut tops is that people put them in cars with rock hard springs, then wonder why the rubber in the strut mount splits.  Essentially something has to give.  

Amayama have come back to me saying, "We haven't heard back from the supplier regarding availability of your order #123456
however there's a 95% chance they are in stock at the supplier.
Please, make payment to process the order."

Not quite the usual service i expect from them, but it's been a while since I bought anything through them.  

I'll pay for it and see what happens.  Previously they ascertained whether it was available and THEN you paid.

Have also ordered some rear spring insulator pads and some control arm bolts.

I just had the same experience with amayama. They couldn't confirm the frame number, so I sent them pics of the chassis plate. Then they asked for payment but haven't confirmed of they can get them yet

However apparently the seals I want are in stock, so I've paid and will have to wait and see.

So no surprise, the genuine KE2x strut tops are out of production and unavailable.

Not very happy with the service from Amayama on this occasion, and that's got nothing to do with the unavailability of the part, rather their requirement for payment 3 days ago without any certainty of part availability.  

TCCAV is great, but Victorian based obviously.  Where are you?

They are still a very social group with an active competition programme, plus club meetings when COVID doesn't get in the way.

As with any group, there is a smaller core of active members, so don't be put off by thoughts the group is too big, many of those (including me) are remote and not directly involved in the internet era.