Ke70 horn wiring

Members dont see this ad

Yes, from the hazard fuse to the horns, they're in parallel and likely to have dirty, poor connections, then back to the steering wheel and earths out via the ring behind the steering wheel. That's another place to get poor contact.

If the hazard lights work I'd check the wiring for 12V at the horns,  and if it still doesn't work then pop the steering wheel apart and see if 12V is arriving back there.  The contact pin that is pushed against the ring for turning the steering wheel obviously wears away.

Horn wiring.jpg

As you have never heard the horns work in your car, then the first thing I would do, before tracing wires & fuses etc, is ensure that the horns actually work.

This is easy.  I believe the horns on your car are located down between the grill & the radiator, one on each side. Disconnect the spade terminal leads from each horn.

Take two pieces of wire, & connect or temporarily clip them each, to the battery terminals.  Then touch the two wires from the battery across each horn's two spade contacts, to ensure they work.  If that all works, then at least you know, the problem is wiring, fuses, or most probably, the horn contact switch in the steering wheel.  I got so sick of my horn not working, because of the horn ring contact wearing, that I converted my horn button to wireless.  Horn button contact wear problem eliminated forever !

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/75658-ke3055-horn-steering-wheel-contact-ring/

Cheers Banjo.

Edited by Banjo

Hey, this car is from phase 2 but last owner converted to phase 1 so i can use quadlights... but the problems is, i don't have the horn placed in and i can´t find the wire. i already see this diagram in rollaclub but i can understand ... Is the wire next to the front turn signals ?

There should be two horns, one on each side.  There should be more bolts holding on the stone tray than what you have there too!

It looks a mess, all you can do is sit down and work out what the last guy did. The indicators on the slanty KE70 are in the sidelight, in the flatfront they are in the guards. Both have them in the bumpers.  From the diagram, most 'green and something' wires are indicators, the horns being white and then green/black. 

If you can find a white wire, check for permanent 12V. If you can find a permanent 12V wire there, (no ignition on) then that's a start. The return wire to the horn will have to be green /black.

From what you are advising, it sounds like you do not have any physical horns fitted to the car at all !  So first thing, is to get some form of horn, so you can test it out.

You do not need to turn on the ignition, to produce a 12 volt supply to the horns.  The horn circuit should be alive, in most cars, even when the ignition is off.  That's why it shares a fuse with the Hazzard lights, which can be turned on, when the car is disabled on the side of the road, without the need for the ignition switch to be on.

The horn ring in the steering wheel, is already connected to the chassis, so the spring loaded pin, should be connected to the horn/s.  This is usually a single wire, on a small spade connector, that plugs into the rear of the steering wheel centre section. It may simply have not been plugged back in, when someone had the steering wheel dissembled previously. 

The circuit diagram above indicates that the horn/s are grounded or earthed to the chassis, directly by the horn ring switch.  I have always liked to add a relay between the horns & the horn button, so the horn button, does not have to switch the full current of the horn/s.

If you want to do this modification, give us a yell, once you have some working horns, & we'll provide a sketch, to assist you.

Cheers Banjo

" The horn circuit should be alive, in most cars, even when the ignition is off. "

Yep, this bit. 

The white wire should be live all the time, carrying power to the horn.   The green wire will be live also if the horn is OK.  Its the steering wheel button that earths it out and makes the horn work.