Need some Help regarding NSW p plate laws

Hi Guys n Gals

Just got my L's 5 months ago and i decided to buy a ke70 wagon, came with a ca18det witch i can't but in while on my p's because i think it out puts 280kw or something the guy said (probs pulling my leg) But I;m going to take that out and put a p plate legal engine in.

I'm not sure what engine I'm aloud to put in it if i can put a 4age or do i have to stay with the factory engine it came with witch was a 4k-c

I see that NSW p plate laws have that i can't drive 

• Power to tare mass ratios of greater than 130kW per tonne or,
  • Modified engines that need to be approved by an engineer or,
  • Other vehicles classified as high performance.

now I'm not sure if i can put a bigger stock motor or i have to stay stock, Only because "Modified engines that need to be approved by an engineer" but does that count towards doing a engine conversion i know you have to legally get a engineering cert to even convert a different engine into the car.

Just looking for some help because i don't wanna spend $xxxx and get pulled over and my cars fucked, IDK. 

Lmao thanks for any answers it would help alot, -Damien. 

Edited by ThatP_PlaterKE70

Members dont see this ad

Ask the Dept Transport or whoever it is now, and even then you might get an opinion rather than a law.  Any answers on here are just opinions and wouldn't constitute legal advice.

You would get away with a 5K, but for what improvement it is you might as well just fit a good 4K.  You could try the 5K pistons into a 4K block if you have a ratty 4K that needs a rebuild, but really no K motor is worth spending thousands of dollars on.  A 4AGE KE70 is a great combo, ask them about that as it was in the AE86 and that would weigh the same, and I'm sure you'd be allowed a FWD Corolla with a 4AGE on your Ps.

However the 4AGE means another whole crossmember-engine-gearbox-driveshaft change and that won't be cheap. I expect that putting a 4AGE in will cost you more than the car. Even the engineering can cost thousands of dollars and they can ask you to do some stupid things to the rest of the car. Actually, what brakes are on it, and was it road legal with certificates when you bought it?

Sure as hell that CA18 won't be good for it.  What diff did he fit??

On 7/8/2020 at 5:06 PM, altezzaclub said:

Ask the Dept Transport or whoever it is now, and even then you might get an opinion rather than a law.  Any answers on here are just opinions and wouldn't constitute legal advice.

You would get away with a 5K, but for what improvement it is you might as well just fit a good 4K.  You could try the 5K pistons into a 4K block if you have a ratty 4K that needs a rebuild, but really no K motor is worth spending thousands of dollars on.  A 4AGE KE70 is a great combo, ask them about that as it was in the AE86 and that would weigh the same, and I'm sure you'd be allowed a FWD Corolla with a 4AGE on your Ps.

However the 4AGE means another whole crossmember-engine-gearbox-driveshaft change and that won't be cheap. I expect that putting a 4AGE in will cost you more than the car. Even the engineering can cost thousands of dollars and they can ask you to do some stupid things to the rest of the car. Actually, what brakes are on it, and was it road legal with certificates when you bought it?

Sure as hell that CA18 won't be good for it.  What diff did he fit??

Sorry for that late reply, Still has stock everything except for wheels, steering wheel and flares but he was mid conversion and then covid-19 got around and he worked at a airport so he had to sell it. Originally had a 4k-c in it but since sold it and it was "road worthy" with the 4k in it, he took it off rego to do the engine conversion 

Edited by ThatP_PlaterKE70
forgot to add something

Ah, OK, so you have a blank slate for engines.  Still cheapest is a 4K, and anything else depends on the balance of how good the motor is, how hard it is to fit & how big your budget is.

You could just buy a 4K until you're off your P's, although even that will need a stack of other bits like clutch cable setups, throttle cables, choke cables, exhaust system, driveshaft, and other bits you might not have been sold.  You'll need someone wrecking a KE70, or a good local wrecking yard.

Buy another KE70 to run around in for a couple of years!