5K Electronic Dizzy from ebay

Banjo

Just trying to help a member in Melbourne, who is fitting one of these ebay dizzies to a 5K.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Distributor-Fit-for-Toyota-3K-4K-5K-Corolla-KE70-Liteace-Starlet-Daihatsu-Delta/122423257624?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 

The picture in the ebay posting, indicates the two (2) wires coming out of the dizzy are red & black, (which you would assume were +12v & -ve coil terminal respectively)

image.png.5a7059332cbb667a45fbcd767b370dc0.png

However, the dizzy as supplied, has 1 x brown wire, & 1 x black wire, with a white stripe on it.

Has anyone purchased one of these, & has worked out, or has info, as to which wire colour is positive, & which is negative ?

Cheers Banjo 

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad

Dang you Banjo!!!! I might of spilled the beans/spoiled the surprise from the auto electrician or yourself!!

Hey, thanks a heap for your help, he's such a nice bloke and after the first 18months wait for nothing to be done electronics wise, he deserves to have back running. 

Thanks Stu,

You didn't spoil the surprise.  The auto electrician, contacted Andrew late yesterday, & gave him the good news (about only good news coming out of Melbourne atm)

Andrew contacted me last night, & he is very happy & appreciative, to have his engine running, after many, many months.

I was only too happy to be part of a group, including yourself, who have helped Andrew eventually realise his vision.

This episode of the ignition issues, Andrew faced using an electronic dizzy as a simple trigger input to an aftermarket ECU, reminds me of a longer discussion, regarding this topic, we all had on here, 2-3 years ago, when Graeme (Big G), was sick of changing the points in his Girls Rolla.

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/73743-electronic-distributor/#comments

Cheers  Banjo

Edited by Banjo
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Banjo said:

Thanks Stu,

You didn't spoil the surprise.  The auto electrician, contacted Andrew late yesterday, & gave him the good news (about only good news coming out of Melbourne atm)

Andrew contacted me last night, & he is very happy & appreciative, to have his engine running, after many, many months.

I was only too happy to be part of a group, including yourself, who have helped Andrew eventually realise his vision.

This episode of the ignition issues, Andrew faced using an electronic dizzy as a simple trigger input to an aftermarket ECU, reminds me of a longer discussion, regarding this topic, we all had on here, 2-3 years ago, when Graeme (Big G), was sick of changing the points in his Girls Rolla.

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/73743-electronic-distributor/#comments

Cheers  Banjo

Yeah I did, I actually spoke to him maybe a half hour after your "it's ok, it's running post", about 2min in he got a text from the sparky. On the good/bad news situation in Vic, I live on the Mornington Peninsula(about 8min from altezza's son) we aren't too badly hit with about 15 cases, but still classed as Melbourne metro  so still in stage 3. Still able to work and with very little racing going on, everyone wanting a freshen up means I'm still quite busy.

It should be a pretty fun thing, its 10:1, torquey hydro regrind and standard port sized skimed head should create plenty of low end punch. From photos it appears to be a well built thing. 

Are the weights set up for a car in those dizzys?  It would be a better buy than those made for fork hoists or whatever they were!

Yeah, I'm hearing stories from him about having to wear a mask every day.  Good thing he didn't buy a house in central Melb...

Good luck you guys down there-

Are the weights set up for a car in those dizzys?  It would be a better buy than those made for fork hoists or whatever they were!

According to the ebay listing, this distributor, will fit every K series motor ever made, between 1966 & 1984.  They list both sedans & commercial Toyota vehicles, as this being suitable for.

image.png.29108fa4e862f986910618f6624730f9.png

From previous experience, we know that the distributor advance curve for the commercial vehicles was different to those for the car,  as their lower rev/torque requirements, demanded it.

So originating from China perhaps, it's anyone's guess as to what the advance curve actually is, unless, we got hold of one & spun it up, & measured it. I have a couple of the original ND "electronic" distributors, that were traditionally only supplied with 5K engines, which were again, traditionally, only fitted to "commercial" Toyota vehicles.

DSC01561sm.jpg.8c0bd9c93b906309b6003b40c20bfec7.jpg

These dizzies, used a VR (Variable Reluctance) sensor, which triggered an internal electronic ignitor. They were a nice package, that I have used on several Rollas, over the years.  They were however, not designed to switch power to "low ohms", performance type ignition coils, which a few people have found out, . . . . . . the hard way.

They have been popular, for mods, because of the small dizzy case size, which is very much like the early 3K ND "points" dizzy.  The Bosch dizzy, of the same era, was so much bigger in diameter.

They make a good basis for a camshaft trigger signal for anyone attempting an ECU upgrade or mod.  Most of the olde 3K ND dizzies, are pretty worn out.  At least with this ebay dizzy, you get new mechanicals.

The advance bob weights & springs, in this application, are redundant, and it is important, that they be all removed, & the upper & lower shafts locked/welded together, to provide a stable fixed trigger point.  After all, it is the ECU, that now produces the far more programable & ideal advance/retard curve.

I've used one of these in my Rollas, successfully, in that application, over several years. 

I do however, like the Hall Effect Accuspark upgrade to the 3K ND dizzy.  VR sensors don't perform very well at low revs, whereas, the Hall Effect Accuspark upgrade, provides instant starts. 

DSC02744.JPG.4bacd4383da2d1832739c282c010e891.JPG

I have however, carried one of the old ND electronic dizzies around in the boot, in case my electronic ECU broke down completely, & I needed to just pop this dizzy in the block, & connect it to the coil, to get home.  I have never had to use it.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

On 8/2/2020 at 10:05 AM, Banjo said:

Stuart &  I received a text from Andrew, late yesterday, advising he has got his Suzuki with 5K engine with EFI conversion back home, & going fine.

I'd call that a  Win !

Cheers Banjo

He is stoked and hanging out to get it in the bush and here I am contemplating on which state or country I'll move to once borders and jobs are going. 

• Upvote 1

and here I am contemplating on which state or country I'll move to once borders and jobs are going. 

Queenland Stuart !  . . . . . . . .   But you better be quick.  we are locking our borders on Saturday 8th August.

Cheers  Banjo

22 hours ago, Banjo said:

"trout & a mote"    We've got the great white & the great barrier reef !

& the big Pineapple  !  Free entry, up until Saturday 8th August !

Got big sharks down here too, an hour boat ride away from my place, I can catch close to 160kg southern blue fin tuna. Fresh water fishing is a big passion of mine and if it was about fishing I'd be choosing between where I am, Tassie and NZ. Tas, Qld and NZ are all still high on the list as they have 1. Motorsport/engine shop jobs. 2. Good fishing. 3. Mountain bike parks(yeah I'm 42 but I love a good down hill run or two)

It all can wait though I clicked over 25yrs of service at work last week so I can sit and see what happens for at least 8 months. 

• Upvote 1