KE30 (1978) front brakes -- compatible/aftermarket parts where?

Hello there,

I just found my fathers old Corolla KE30 (2 door sedan/saloon, 1978), and started the repairs with a mechanic friend. The problem is that we are more familiar with the old russian cars... because of that we don't know much about part compatibility or where can we buy parts and so on.

First I needed some rear shock bumpers, I found this in a Japan warehouse.

Now we need a pair front brake discs/rotors because they are too thin. I found some on ebay, but the shipping price for Europe is horrible. Where can I found elsewere?

(Sorry for my English --- I’m new here, but I tried to write my question in the right place, maybe I succeeded.)

Members dont see this ad

Welcome aboard !    What country are you located in ?   If you provide that information, maybe someone else, in your part of the world, who follows or frequents this website, may be able to assist you.

How long since your Dad's old Rolla was last driven ?   Have you got any pictures of it, that you could post on here ?

I have a 1974 KE30 2 door, that looks like this.

100_3404.thumb.jpg.e711585715f3358904679239d9c342ac.jpg

Cheers  Banjo

It's always a good idea to query the postage cost with international sellers, especially if you are looking on ebay.  You may find they can do it substantially cheaper as often postage is calculated by ebay automatically, and sellers are not aware of what postage costs come up in other countries.

Thank you for your answers!

I'm from Hungary, but half of the year I live in Romania (like now). 

It was last driven by my Dad in 1995 after that by my grandfather in 2006. She slept in a deep dream for 14 years. Here's a picture of her when she wasn't on her own two feet yet. (Now it's clean and fine/I will upload a new picture/ but definitely needs some parts.)

auto.thumb.jpg.3039954fac80deb235c169a8ec9c7c25.jpg

Last week I found her old parts catalogue and with some OEN numbers I had identified many parts that I can order from Europe too (rear brake cylinders, rear shock bumpers, brake pads and so on..) /I hope these OEN numbers are reliable./  The brake disc is an exception, I only found the "original" one on amayama com.

On 7/31/2020 at 1:06 PM, parrot said:

It's always a good idea to query the postage cost with international sellers, especially if you are looking on ebay.  You may find they can do it substantially cheaper as often postage is calculated by ebay automatically, and sellers are not aware of what postage costs come up in other countries.

I didn't even think about that! Maybe I will contact the sellers and ask them for more information.

(Anyway, here is a picture about the front brake disc. It's very thin... like on motorcycles.)

frontdiscthin.thumb.jpg.8fba7cd6aba5f10ff0c3a0257fb6be1c.jpg

Hi Csongor,

What a lovely story, & a very original KE30, in what appears to be, in remarkable condition.  I'm just loving the roof rack.. They were in vogue 30-50 years ago.  I remember, they also used to produce them with 4 or 6 great big suction caps, that took the weight on the roof corners. (that's in the days, when car bodies were much heavier, & used thicker steel sheet)

My KE30 manual states that the front disk rotors were 218mm in diameter, & had a new thickness of 13mm.  Machining limit was 12mm, & run out limit was 0.15mm.

Your picture of the brake rotor, certainly appears to show it as being fairly thin.

In Australia, we can still buy on line solid rotors for around AUD 140 per pair, & aftermarket vented & grooved/dimpled ones for around AUD 240 per pair.

image.png.fec4130948ac2b899dbff0e42076abde.png

image.png.552324adbdd82064a080d4eab15bd168.png

It would appear, that the car spent all those "deep sleep dream 14 years" in a shed or barn somewhere. I can't imagine the body would be in such good condition, if it was exposed to the elements.

My guess is, that when you provide us with a picture under the bonnet, that the engine, is stock standard, & totally untouched.

Have you tried to start it, or had it running ?

I love those utube videos, of people starting old trucks, tractors, & cars, that have laid idle for 40 odd years.

Good luck, & keep us updated, on your progress, & ask us any questions at all.  There are lots of members on here, that know every inch of your car, & will chip in with advice.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo