4AGE Cooling

emd310k

Excellent job Golberg going over the 4AGE Cooling System. I wanted to add one bit of added info on Cooling System potential problems. Upon purchase and receipt of a used 16V Large Port head of completely unknown history I proceeded to completely disassemble it. One thing I did note was the small drillings in the eyebrow cooling passages on the combustion face side of the head were nearly completely blocked. The material appears to be one of those pour in your cooling system things used to seal up minor leaks. Three of the four openings were very much plugged and took a hand spinning a drill bit to open things up. I have another large port head and compared how deep the drill bit would go into the opening. I believe these small eye brow openings permit coolant to circulate around the port passages and must flow somewhere. Does anyone know any greater level of detail on where and how the coolant flows when it enters this opening in the eyebrow? Anyone ever do a a cross section cut that might reveal the flow paths?

Members dont see this ad