T50 Speedo drive ke55

Rolledoats

Hey guys, I have bought a ke55 hardtop with a t50 2tc set up and got home last night after playing with the carbs  thought I should open her up so I did just that then I must of hit a stick or something or that's what it sounded like and on my way back I noticed a trail of gearbox oil so I babied her to the shed and went for a walk to follow it and I found this and only this but wondering if I can get another and just put it in or would it have fucked something

received_1508665265984959.jpeg

Members dont see this ad

By now you will have checked for damage on the gearbox fitting and found out why the threaded piece in your fingers was still there. It either ripped the matching thread off the gearbox or it was unscrewed before it fell off, or it was torn off and ruined.

I've been hunting a few photos I have of repairing those units, I just can't find them. You'll need a new cable at least, from the look of it, and there should be a big nylon gear sticking out the top end of the piece in your hand.

What else have you found under there.

I'm afraid I don't know where to get one, or even if yours is the same as a KE70 in length.  One important thing will be the number of teeth on the nylon gear, so if the gear is still in the gearbox hole, take it out and check the condition of it. The inner cable will be the easiest part, they can be made up new. There's plenty of KE55s at wreckers, but they won't have T50s in, so the bottom fitting will likely be different.  Stick some photos up, maybe someone will recognize the bits.

here's one place for the gear, although the fitting looks a different shape.  Its worth another look around the bush where you found the outer fitting to find the gear, even if its just to count the teeth.

https://tinkeringontoyotas.com.au/products/t50-gearbox-speedo-gear-drive-kit

Ah- photos in here..

..and I found my photo I was looking for, its just not on my computer!  These are two broken T50 drives, one stripped the nylon gear and one broke the hollow steel drive shaft.  That's what T50 gear look like as far as I know.

Anyway, best buy a new cable, inner & outer, then figure out how many teeth on the gear you need to buy, and buy the $74 kit from somewhere. Then you'll need a 6mm bolt and a half-moon plate to hold it in the gearbox.

T50 speedo drive gear.jpg

Edited by altezzaclub