Ke55 k20 ideas

Oniesho

Hey guys I'm pretty new here and only recently got my ke55. So for the past couple months before I got my ke55 I was trying to decide what I wanted to swap into it down the line. I'm most likely not going to swap it anytime soon probably 1-2 years after research and saving. I wanted to find a good motor and I've decided to go with a k20. I was wondering if anybody here has done it, how hard it is, what I should expect, difficulty of finding k20 parts and how much it'll roughly cost to make at least 200ish kw. Any advice can help because I can only find one video and no threads on k20s for mounts and other stuff. Loving the ke55 tho

Members dont see this ad

Can you cut the transmission tunnel and still use the car for what you want? The J160 6-speed is a big box, and if you read the thread about putting one in the KE70 rally car you'll see we lowered the engine mounts until the sump was almost touching the cross-member, and we drop the cross-member to get the gearbox in and out. That's after panel-beating the tunnel around the bell-housing so we ddidn't have to cut it.  You might have worse problems as you have a steering arm across the car, while we have a rack bolted to the cross-member.

You'll need custom engine mounts and a gearbox cross-member made, maybe not have a speedo if the Honda's use electronic systems like the Altezza, and a custom driveshaft to a new diff.  I'm sure it won't get engineered without new front suspension & brakes too.  Seeing you're basically putting the shell on a completely new mechanical system, don't look for change out of $20,000. Even paying someone to fit a 'drop-in' 4AGE into a KE70 we reckon is worth $10K, and yours is a lot more work.

The motor is wonderful, no doubt about it, and the only options are Mazda MX-5 or a BMW 4-cyl in RWD configuration. You could use a 2AZ like LittleRedSpirit, that's a fantastic project, but RWD sports motors are not common these days.

Anyway, keep planning and measuring, anything is possible!

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/64432-how-to-tackle-that-engine-conversion/

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/69126-how-to-build-a-rally-car/?gopid=680040#entry680040