Fuel gauge rating KE55

oldie

Members dont see this ad

Hi Pete,

Somewhere around 3 ohm to 110-120 ohms, off memory.

Search this forum, as there are a number of posts regarding this matter.  I had the same problem as you, & gave away the idea of using a substitute sender unit.

Some sender units go low - hi ohms.  Others go hi - low ohms.  Dependents on whether vehicle it came from originated in Europe or the USA. Different standards.

You might like to have a read of this thread, I put together.

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/76685-cleaning-inside-of-fuel-tank/

Cheers  Banjo

Thanks for the input,I have noticed that SASS make a 52mm aftermarket fuel gauge with the option of variable settings to use with standard senders although they do not list the 55 specifically,they do list "japanese cars" as one of their options so I am giving this some consideration. I don't really mind if it is not 100% accurate as long as I can get to "near enough good enough."

Hi Pete,

Does the guage in your KE55 not work at all;  is intermittent; or just reads inaccurately ?

If it is not working at all, it may simply be that the voltage regulator, on the rear of the dash cluster, has "given up the ghost"

Taking out the fuel sender, can be a pain in the arse, as in the KE-55, the sender unit, is mounted in the centre / top of the tank, & the tank has to come out, to extract the fuel sender unit.

To check the sender, without removing unit, trace the wire from the sender down to "connection point" into the forward harness, just near the rear drivers side wheel arch. Note the colour of the wire in the forward harness.  Pick up this wire, behind the plastic side panel, adjacent to the drivers right foot.  Disconnect it.  Connect a wire to the wire disconnected wire, going to the rear of the car.  Hook it up to a multimeter on "ohms/resistance" range, with the other probe connected to a good ground.  That should read the resistance of the fuel sender.

If it reads zero, then there is a short circuit. If it reads open circuit, then the sender is open circuit. If it reads between say 10 ohms & 200 ohms, then it is working. Leave the meter on & fill up the tank, & see if it works.

Saves a lot of mucking around, taking the tank out, if it finishes up, not being necessary.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

The issue is that I have fitted the KE tank into a non original project vehicle that is having a custom dash and as such can't use an original gauge,it is all custom aftermarket,hence the question. The SAAS unit is only 52mm which is smaller than I wanted but if it does the job will go with it but there are better options but they have fixed output which is why I was asking regards the ohms output. Seeing as the top of the tank is just accessible looks like I may have to grab a multimeter and try to do some measuring,I don't want to fill the tank yet but I may be able to get an "empty" reading and go from there. Thanks again,Pete

Edited by oldie

Hi Pete,

I purchased a Faria fuel guage from ebay, a while back.

image.png.1977c804d1949b25a39f6e4763c2e926.png

Faria 52mm Fuel Guage

image.png.10283e086b1148d3a2f83eeef6ee01f1.png

I was using it, to play around with on the bench.  It has a nice blue LED background illumination.

With 12 volt connected to it, 240 ohms = Empty & 33 ohms = full.

I imagine the SASS fuel guage will be similar.

I like the classic guage appearance, & am having second thoughts, about the LED Bar-O-Graph one I've built.

I was thinking of feeding a "time proportional" grounded signal into the sensor terminal, to get it to read correctly, for each of the multi-point enclosed fuel sender's switch points, that I've had so much success with.

Off memory, I think I tried the Faria guage, with my fuel sender, in the KE30, & it read backwards.

Not sure if you are going to find a guage a bit larger in diameter than 52mm. There are some that combine multiple read-outs, in one guage, & they are about 100mm in dia.

image.png.879a164032d45b817e34f6c006e947b6.png

You will probably come across the same problem, all of us on Rollaclub have regarding fuel guage sender units.

They all wear out, & genuine replacement sender units are extremely hard to find.   That's why my quest, was to come up, with something that didn't require the original sender unit at all.

Let me know how you go.  If your existing level sender unit in the KE55 tank is cactus, then you may have to look at other alternatives, as I had to.

P.S.  Came across this for sales on ebay Australia today. Genuine NOS KE20 Nippon Denso Fuel sensor never used.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Corolla-KE20-Fuel-Tank-Fuel-Gauge-Sender-Unit-NOS/324288243082?hash=item4b8115e58a:g:W78AAOSw69dfU3Un

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hi Pete,

I came across this one on ebay this morning.  A 52mm fuel guage @ universal sender unit for just $ 23.00. Free postage. It might take a couple of weeks to get here, but at that price, even if you only used the sender unit, it is a bargain.

ebay Listing for Fuel Guage & Sender Unit

image.png.5a330d768ef8b4e21a8235f414c44d8f.png

At that price, it is worth grabbing one, just to experiment with.

Cheers  Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Thanks for the update,I haven't proceeded any further with this at present, busy with other things but did manage to get an "empty" reading of 140ish ohms when testing between the sender connection and earth but as you say,can't get the unit out to check "full" with the tank mounted in situ. The SAAS unit quotes 160 empty and 33 full as one of its pre-set options,apparently appropriate to a Honda setting so I may be able to go with this and adjust the float lever to give me a near enough, good enough solution as its really only the "empty" position that I am overly concerned with and as long as I get an idea of flow  rate so that I know at which point I need to start being concerned,I think it may work. Anyway, think I will buy one, have a fiddle and see how I go.