7K engine into a ke30

davek_14

Hi all, I am currently installing a 7K carby engine in the ke30. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the progress so far as it might help others.
Got a 7K engine from melbourne and we have rebuilt it completely including a new flywheel and HD clutch kit ( 4K flywheel and clutch and a spigot bearing rsb 508)  Used the 4K sump to get the measurements to cut the 7K sump. Cut the sump completely just below where it mates to the block and then  cut 20 mm off the sump all the way round. Rewelded sump. Used the 4K oil pump as 7K one is too long in the modified sump. Did  a trial install in the engine bay and it fits perfectly using the original engine mounts from the 7K engine.

The left hand lower mount for the gearbox from the 4K needs to be massaged a bit to fit the 7K block but the drivers side fits perfectly. Using the 7K starter motor and the 4K alternator, also  the 4K fuel pump and distributor. Using the 7K inlet manifold as it is a better design than the 4K one and a set of headers.Also a 32/36 Weber rejetted  for the 7K engine.
That’s about it for the moment, currently stripping the body paint and getting the car ready for a full 2pack repaint. Will update with photos as we proceed.

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

There was a good discussion about this subject, here on Rollaclub, some (10) years ago.   https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42941-how-to-wire-a-5k-electronic-distributor/

The Yellow Bible (Toyota factory Manual) advises that the total primary resistance, should be about 1.9 ohms.  Just don't use one of the very low ohm hi energy coils, or you run the risk of burning out the inbuilt ignitor in the dizzy.

I've run a coil with 1.6 ohm primary for many years, with my 5K electronic dizzy, & never had an issue.

Even if you do lose an ignitor, don't throw away the dizzy, as it is a simple job, to remove the ignitor, & bring the variable Reluctance (VR) two (2) wires out, & feed into a Bosch external ignitor,  (P/N  BIM024)  designed for VR triggering.

Actually, there was a good how-to on Toymods, on this subject at 

https://www.toymods.org.au/forums/threads/24609-Converting-to-a-Bosch-Ignition-Module-(Reluctor-Dizzys)

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

I think the 7K dizzy body was slightly larger in diameter, than the one for the 5K, but the ignitor & VR sensor are the same.  Both engines made for commercial vehicles, so the advance / retard curves would be very similar.

http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist.php?maker=toyota&type=651150&cartype=100&fig=1902

I think I might have a 7K body floating around in the shed. I'll take a look.  Toyota used both Bosch & Denso dizzies, & the Bosch was the bigger of the two.

If your dizzy is cactus, don't throw it away.  Fit an Accuspark Hall trigger / ignitor pack, & you'll have a great setup.  Good idea, to strip out the mounting plate, inside the dizzy first, & see what state the centifugal advance bob weights & springs are in.

Cheers  Banjo

Thanks Banjo, you have been very helpful with all this. I have searched through all the bits that came with the engine but couldn’t find the coil, can get one from the wreckers but probably just use a Bosch coil as long as it is around 1.9 ohms as you suggested. Cheers and thanks for your very helpful advice. Dave.

body back to bare metal rust repaired, panels all smoothed and ready for 2 pack.

443CF522-F4B8-46AA-BE53-EDF95CCF764C.jpeg

66FB0A75-FCFD-492A-92D1-6DBA58D7B101.jpeg

8EF29502-E02B-4BB2-A4A6-65CF609F05F2.jpeg

Banjo, I found the distributor in the bag of bits the mechanic stripped off the engine for the rebuild. It’s a denso one, but has these weird connectors on dissy cap and high tension lead to the coil. So guessing I will have to find a coil from a townace I order to get it working.

26DACF9C-AF30-43DF-AB06-569D03F6C67F.jpeg

930F0AC0-2B90-4302-B257-B9B5435ED7D0.jpeg

F8DC1BB4-7F20-4963-A678-5B4392943043.jpeg

ADF25571-F4A3-423D-979C-C1B1C940AAAB.jpeg

BE769F95-C299-491C-8D84-D320F7C0BAA1.jpeg