KE38 Gearbox Conversion questions!

LucaKE

Hi there, 

New to messing around with corolla boxes. I own a 79 ke38 with a K40 and I am looking for a box with a 5th gear. I've heard T50 boxes are the way to go, but a hydro conversion is needed. I don't plan on putting in a 4AGE or SR or anything, but some simple K power mods in which I heard that the K50 box is better for.

Which box is better for my needs and what is the process of installing it? Do i need any extras? Does anything need to be shortened etc etc.

Cheers, Luca

Members dont see this ad

Hi Luca,

There are pros & cons to what you are considering.

Pros:

K50 box from a KE70 is your simplest & best option, as your KE38 is already manual.

K50 box from a KE70, has the gearstick further back.

K50 box from a KE55 has gearstick in same position as your K40 box.

Plenty of threads on this forum, regarding change over.

Cons:

Good K50 (from KE70) gearboxes are getting hard to find, & most are getting "long in the tooth".  (no pun intended)

You'll need to cut hole in the tunnel, for if you use K50 box from a KE70.

You'll need rear gearbox mount & support, as well.

Parts for them are now scarce, including bearings.

Conclusion:  I did a K50 from KE70 conversion to my KE30 2 door years ago.  It was originally a 3 speed auto, so involved pedal box as well.  What you are considering is fairly easy, as there is no hydraulic clutch mod required.  If you are going to thrash the 5 speed box, then the k50 will suffer.  However, my K50 was popped in, without overhaul, & I don't thrash it, but give it plenty of stick, & it has been as reliable as ever.

P.S.  If you do get a K50, then minimum you should replace is the rear prop shaft oil seal.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

On 11/3/2020 at 12:27 PM, Banjo said:

Hi Luca,

There are pros & cons to what you are considering.

Pros:

K50 box from a KE70 is your simplest & best option, as your KE38 is already manual.

K50 box from a KE70, has the gearstick further back.

K50 box from a KE55 has gearstick in same position as your K40 box.

Plenty of threads on this forum, regarding change over.

Cons:

Good K50 (from KE70) gearboxes are getting hard to find, & most are getting "long in the tooth".  (no pun intended)

You'll need to cut hole in the tunnel, for if you use K50 box from a KE70.

You'll need rear gearbox mount & support, as well.

Parts for them are now scarce, including bearings.

Conclusion:  I did a K50 from KE70 conversion to my KE30 2 door years ago.  It was originally a 3 speed auto, so involved pedal box as well.  What you are considering is fairly easy, as there is no hydraulic clutch mod required.  If you are going to thrash the 5 speed box, then the k50 will suffer.  However, my K50 was popped in, without overhaul, & I don't thrash it, but give it plenty of stick, & it has been as reliable as ever.

P.S.  If you do get a K50, then minimum you should replace is the rear prop shaft oil seal.

Cheers Banjo

Hiya mate, 

That sounds perfect for my needs, I can't seem to find any build threads for ke30 k50 conversions. Do you have any links?

Cheers!

Hi Luca,

Here's one that popped straight up. It's for auto to manual conversion, but covers all the basics, & includes some pics.

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/58879-how-to-convert-an-auto-to-a-manual-ke70/?tab=comments#comment-59079

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/32023-auto-to-man-ke30-advice/?tab=comments#comment-358122

I'm sure I put a post when I did mine, so have a look under my postings.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo