Hiro's Ae102

Finally got around to wiring up the halos the other day.....well, actually months ago, but forogt to post them up here, been meaning to do this ever since I installed the lights themselves.

Pics tell the story

P1060187.jpg

P1060188.jpg

P1060192.jpg

P1060195.jpg

And for something more recent:

Over the course of the past month or so, it seems my starter motor has slowly been dying. If the car is left on but not running for a while (aka lights on, or radio etc going), the car will fail to start, yet the battery is perfectly fine voltage-wise and everything else electric in the car still worked no problems. However, turn the ignition and you're greeted with a "clickclickclickclickclick" from the gearbox area. This inability to start led me to clutch-starting it on more than one occasion, and always attempting to park it within easy pushing distance of a nice down-hill slope. Figuring that it's an internal problem with the starter and nothing to do with the battery, I didn't consider jump-starting as an option, although finally I decided to give it a go (it's impossible to push the car out of my driveway without two people pushing and one person steering) and it worked fine.

So that then led me to believe that the starter motor needed a good healthy fully charged battery (or alternatively a nice healthy 14.4v running engine+alternator) to start - a discharged battery (even only minor) would not provide enough kick (but would probably run a brand new starter just fine).

So I got Davo's old starter motor from Sam/WTF33R, and installed that over the weekend. By some miracle, no bolts snapped, no leaks of any kind, only one round of WD40 was needed, and although access was tight (my hands are rather huge) I managed to get it out without removing exhaust or intake. New(er) starter motor in (much easier task), started it up, and was greeted with a lovely screeching noise, almost like a slipping belt. It went away as soon as the starter pinion detached, but still wasn't what I wanted to hear. Although it's gotten better with time, could just be the internal lubricant has dried up or a bit of surface rust on stuff, hopefully with a few more starts under it's belt it'll go away completely

Members dont see this ad
Hey, where did you get your sweet headlghts from?

Got them from another guy who had a 102, pretty sure he got them from eBay as I've seen them crop up there from time to time. You have to get the grille to match too as the ADM grille is a slightly different shape, and won't fit with those lights (but you buy the whole lot of eBay - lights, parkers + grille). Bit of wiring needs to be done too, but thats easy, and most of it was already done for me so I just had to change the globes, wire the halos to the parkers, and plug into the stock harness

did you buy them off davo Hiro? look good , clean your car !!

The lights? Nah, they came from Rizzi, had them long before Davo got his JDM ones (which he got from Jason I think)

And for cleaning the car, those photos are all at least 3-6 months old.....car has been cleaned numerous times since then, but it keeps coming back. You should see how quickly the front wheels get dirty from the brake dust.

i clean my car twice a week i think I'm naughty :y: i wonder where davo's went? didn't you buy some goodies from him?

Can't remember where Davo's lights went, but they got sold pretty quickly. I got his full exhaust + intake, Greenstuffs and the short shifter, and the front lip off a 102 Sprinter that I've yet to investigate fitting (going to be irrelevant if I ever track down a FX-GT front bar)

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

• 2 months later...

Well, after Davo did some rummaging through his garage, he found his old 102 cam cover....since I always liked the look of it over mine (my one was done rather haphazardly and on the cheap), I acquired it (cheers). Sat in the boot for a couple of weeks leaking oil into the carpet, before I got some spare time on the weekend and fitted it. Almost made a fatal error putting the new one on, forgot to switch the gasket over :jamie: Would have made a right mess, that one.

Engine bay now looks disturbingly similar to Davo's old one, except with white paint instead of Inca silver.

P1060131.jpg

Old

P1010038.jpg

New

P1010040.jpg

Now just need to take the plenum off and paint that to match...thinking black with silver on the ribs like the cam cover.

• 2 months later...

Not too much has happened on the 102 front, was locked out of the g/f's house on Friday afternoon (got there early and no-one was home), so spent the time finally wiring up the JDM dash-clock. Despite almost rounding one of the screws holding the head-unit in (needed to remove it to tap into the wires), it worked perfectly with a minimum of fuss.......what didn't work was the car the next morning. Turns out I'd left the interior light on overnight (was convinced that I'd changed it from DOOR to OFF when I was pulling the dash apart, suppose I wouldn't have realised since the battery was disconnected most of the time anyway). So the fun challenge of pushing the car out the driveway and clutch-starting it was embarked upon.

Put it back on the rollers at SAS yesterday, only change being the installation of the CAI some months ago, showed a net gain of 0.7kw (but different days, different conditions yadda yadda yadda). Still happy with it, even happier with the performance of the AE82 though, didn't want it to beat me but 70.8kw is much better than I was expecting.

dynographs_ae102.jpg

and the AE82 for comparison, note the shithouse AFRs and abrupt TVIS changeover

dynographs_ae82.jpg

Oh, and people will be happy to note that the battery is now securely held down by a battery clamp, as opposed to the way cooler securely-held-down-by-cable-tie approach

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

• 2 months later...

Well, got a mysterious and annoying rattle at the moment, sounds very much like a thin sheet vibrating/resonating (and is revs/load dependent), comes from the front of the car when you sit inside it, but from the middle if you stick your head under the car.

First check was number-plate (have taken P-plate holders off lately so thought that could be it), everything tight there so moved on. Narrowed it down to something in the vicinity of the exhaust between the cat and the hotdog, so I pulled out the centre heat shield (when I tapped it it would give off a rattling sound identical to what I could hear from inside the car) and took it for a spin, sound still existed. So that was a bit of a bummer. Could still possibly be the front heat shield around the cat, but it seemed fairly firmly bolted in and not in contact with the exhaust so that clouds my mind with doubt. Can't hurt to rip it off for a little while though, just wish I had a hoist to make it 10 times easier to work on.....

If the heat-shields turn out to be a dead-end, I'm hoping that it's not something inside the exhaust itself, like a collapsed cat or baffle in the hotdog (don't think it has baffles though)

hotdog mufflers have a cylindrical "baffle", if they collapse they can vibrate around as the inner section seperates from the outer and bounces around.

To check the cat, use a palm or rubber mallet and give it a good bash around, if its on its way out or already gone, it will sound a bit like a maracca.

Must be the season for rattles, I still need to get under the seca and see where the exhaust is touching, I'm 99% sure the rear engine mount is broken and causing the rattle at certain RPM when the exhaust gets enough movement/vibration to touch the upper heat shieldin just after the flex pipe.

hotdog mufflers have a cylindrical "baffle", if they collapse they can vibrate around as the inner section seperates from the outer and bounces around.

To check the cat, use a palm or rubber mallet and give it a good bash around, if its on its way out or already gone, it will sound a bit like a maracca.

Must be the season for rattles, I still need to get under the seca and see where the exhaust is touching, I'm 99% sure the rear engine mount is broken and causing the rattle at certain RPM when the exhaust gets enough movement/vibration to touch the upper heat shieldin just after the flex pipe.

Gave the hotdog and the cat a couple of good whacks with the palm of my hand, couldn't hear anything untoward, so I guess that's a good sign.

Is it a bad idea to run without exhaust heat shields for a week or so? When I took the middle one off I thought I could feel fuel hardlines (could have been brakes) in the top of the tunnel, can't imagine heat would be too good for them but the exhaust has cooled down a lot by then anyway (and the cat has it's own heat shield)

under or over?

most cars don't have the complete under side heat shields anymore anyway (usually removed if exhaust is changed or repaired)

The upper shields (between the exhaust and the floorpan) do a little, but not a whole lot.

I can't remember off the top of my head whether or not there are any lines directly above the exhaust.

Just check the heat shield for any loose or rusted bolts/nuts, see if its touching anywhere. Remove it as a last resort I would say.