3K, 4K and 5K real world performance differences?

Greenhaven

Hi all.

Can those in the know please share their experiences with swapping out any combination of the 3K, 4K and 5K engines?  How noticeable was the upgrade or downgrade?  If I hypothetically took out a 3K engine and replaced it with a 5K engine, how much of an upgrade in performance would I get (not looking for horsepower numbers, just noticeable honest feedback).  How impressed/disappointed were you with the upgrade/downgrade?

Thanks heaps,

Paul.

Members dont see this ad

5k swap was so good I did it to two rollas.

Went from holding 100kmh in 4th up a steep local hill with a 3k to accelerating up it on 5th gear with the 5k.

With the competition car a cammed 5k was close to 3 seconds quicker around the local autocross track than the 3k.

Hi Paul,

Agree with Colin totally.  Having driven Rollas for 20+ years, I've had 3k, 4K, & 5K engines in my Rollas at different times. They were in combination, with an auto; & 4 speed & 5 speed gear boxes.

The 5K engine, in combination with a 5 speed gearbox, plus a 3.89 ratio diff, is simply the very best setup, without doing the twin overhead cam & Nissan engine swaps.

The only thing that came slightly close to it, was the 4K-U version of the 4K engine, which pumped out more HP than any of the other more common 4K-C engines.

I recently bought a 5K engine, that had been retired from speedway racing, for $ 100.  I've only recently stripped it, & am always amazed how strong the bottom end of these engines are. Just balance them, & they'll spin at high revs all day, without a whimper. 

Cheers  Banjo