Crashly

Upper thermostat housing

I've been looking at the ACE concentric slave clutch throw-out bearings, from Mal Wood Automotive, in Warwick Qld.

https://malwoodauto.com.au/

image.png.c96723ded24a4632926d1629a6d97f6e.png

These look to be well built, & are half the price, of the ones from the USA, as they don't require a new front gearbox bearing cover & spigot, for each specific type of gearbox. It has multiple ports for the hydraulic lines in & out. It has a simple locator slot, through which passes a threaded rod, that just replaces one of the bearing cap retaining bolts, to stop the assembly from rotating.  Looks like it would fit my KE70 5 speed GB.

Picture below is on a Supra GB.

image.png.e153b359df935bde4289c536489a9dcf.png

I've just had a look at a spare KE70 5 speed GB, I've got in the shed.  It appears the spigot, which supports the bearing carrier, is about 27.5mm in diameter.  I'd suggest that is probable a bit to small for the above unit.  However, it should only require a simple tubular sleeve to be turned up, to make it fit perfectly.  I'll clean out the KE70 GB bellhousing area, in the morning, & accurately, measure everything up.

I'll then contact Mal Wood Automotive & see if,

1.  They have ever done a concentric clutch slave cylinder throw-out bearing, on a Rolla clutch/gearbox, or

2.   Whether the dimensions I provide, can be accommodated.

image.png.a60ec102af61b656d5a9506145210099.png

If anyone on this forum has used these ACE units previously, please chime in, & let us know your experience with them.

Sounds & looks promising.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad

Maybe we should add this stuff in the "KE70 cable to hydaulic-clutch" thread where more people are likely to find/see it?

I'll dig up some more pics of my conversion and add it in there.

That's a good idea.  Funny how these threads start off in one area, & emerge into associated topics.

I'll put a link in both topics, so anyone reading either, can find the other.

Looking forward to any pics you have of your CSC (Concentric Slave Cylinder) conversion.

Cheers Banjo 

I'll clean out the KE70 GB bellhousing area, in the morning, & accurately, measure everything up.

DSC01771sm.jpg.71a8d2183d5b47f5be3a28f7cdf9b946.jpg

K50 Gearbox ex KE70

DSC01772sm.jpg.018f2e9454c99724b86aa67a250c000e.jpg

DSC01774smdim.jpg.6163d0cddc9db1cca15a8bce76199d74.jpg

When I run a straight edge across the backstop flange, it just clears the heads of the bolts, that retain the front Bearing Cover to the gearbox case.  That should allow the CSC assembly to pass over the bolt heads, without issues. I would suggest that the removal of the Clutch Fork Pivot head, would be an ideal point, to mount the location rod, that comes with the ACE CSC, to prevent it from rotating on the central spigot.  The radial dimension from the centre line if the gearbox shaft, & the centre of the fork pivot ball, is exactly 50mm. Hopefully, the slot in the side of the ACE CSC, will accomodate this dimension. 

As long as the "depth" of the ACE CSC is not much deeper than 45mm, I can't foresee too many issues arising.  The only requirement, I can see, to making this all work; is to match the Fixed Spigot OD, with the ID hole in the ACE CSC.  I suspect, this spigot, may be a tad too small in OD, at 27.5mm.  That surely can be fixed by pressing on a tubular sleeve, with an interference fit, then turning that sleeve down to the required OD.

I'll contact Mal wood, this week, & see if the ACE unit is suitable.  Hopefully, they have converted a Rolla GB, previously, & it's all go.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo