Rare - Rare Find !

Banjo

Hi Cashed Up RollaCub Members.

He is a very original 1979 Corolla 4 door sedan, located in Melbourne, currently for auction on CollectingCars.  The auction closes on Wednesday 3rd March.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1979-toyota-corolla-cs

I'll say no more.  Just look at the 180 pics of this vehicle on the auction site, & read the full description.

It reads like a Rollaclub members wildest dream.

Cheers Banjo

Members dont see this ad

Note it is up to $6.2K Sunday morning, 28th Feb.2021.  Would not be surprised if it got up as high as $15K, if the right person, somewhere in the world, really wants it.

image.png.ac0f0fd390763c86480342027aa19e0c.png

There was a case many years ago, when I was looking for a "similar state" Corolla of the 70s vintage.  I came across one on ebay, & starting bidding. It was at Port Macquarie, NSW; original, one lady owner, low mileage.  You know the score. I had it in the bag, until the last 15 minutes of the auction, where another new bidder joined the fray.  I played the game & thought I had it, but was pipped/nipped in the last few seconds, before the auction closed.

As an ebay bidder, you are able to see after the event, the details of the other bidders.  To cut a long story short, this winning bidder was an international car buyer/broker.  After the auction, the car got transported to The Netherlands !

There is a lot of interest in the following journalistic contribution on Caradvice.com.au website atm.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/919581/old-cars-belong-in-museums/

The article itself is one thing; the replies & answers below are also a good read.  It's a topic that will resonate, with many on this forum. 

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

How many drivers are there on the road.  How many of them have the remotest interest in "old" cars.  Not many as a proportion.

When my 18yo son was in the market for a car, I made sure he ended up in a current model Mazda 3.  I don't really like driving it, a very sterile experience.  But it has every safety feature you could ever dream of, and that's what both of us do like.  There have been a couple of occasions in year one where it has automatically braked and saved him from an accident.  Money very well spent.  And to think my AE86 is now worth close to the same as his Mazda?  Most people could not understand it.  I know which one makes me smile whenever I drive it.  But I also know which one he (and I) would prefer him to be driving.

Hi Pete,

And to think my AE86 is now worth close to the same as his Mazda?  

It now Sunday night, with 3 days to go, & there have been 9 off bids, & it's up to $ 6.5K.  It struck me that is about double the price this car sold for, when it was brand new.

I had a KE35 2 door coupe once, which I bought off a girl next door, where I was renting.  First weekend, I cleaned it from top to bottom, (inside), as she used to cart her cats around in it.

In the back of the glove box, I found all the original paperwork, including the original receipt of sale, when it was new, which indicated it sold for a tad over $3K, off memory.

Cheers  Banjo.

$7250 now with 2 days to go. There’s also a 6% buyers commission. That’s a bit of a lurk. Well hopefully it will get driven and stay in Melbourne, rather than stuck away in storage somewhere. I friend of mine has an essentially nil mileage TA23 he just has stored away. Although he does have a Ferrari 308 and an RT Charger amongst other interesting things That do get driven. He gets first look at things as he works in the trade. Some years back he sent an auto KE15 to Shannon’s unreserved and it only went for about $1200 to a guy who gave it to his daughter as a first car. That idea just fills me with horror. 

Hi Pete,

I read recently, that a proportion of the sales of the new Yaris GR Rallye, were for investors, just snapping them up, for investment, as they believe, being a limited edition, the car will be most sought after, within a few short years, & achieve that "extremely desired classic" tag, that we know exists with say the AE86 Series.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-news/hot-toyota-gr-yaris-rallye-launches/

image.png.9981b3fc87283c37d4c5d1bbd3cc38f7.png 

I've read a few of the early reviews of motoring journalists, who have driven them, & it does sound like it is a winner. You just need somewhere, between $49K & $59K, depending on what month you purchased it. Apparently, there is a waiting list.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Seems like 90% of those GRs went to "influences". You've got to build that hype! 

I have seen 2 of them out in the wild though. One in Ipswich and one on the highway half way between Ipswich and Brisbane. 

Ill take a GR yarris with the suit of Litchfield upgrades attached please. 

Hi Dave,

Litchfield apparently think the "hype", is warranted.

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/toyota/gr-yaris/

Ill take a GR yaris with the suit of Litchfield upgrades attached please. 

No !   Go the full hog; aim for a WRC 21 version.

image.png.d0144e58e0515b33fa0af8202e863733.png

OMG !  They can even levitate !

Cheers Keith

Hi Colin,

More info please. Review, impressions.  You've done something most of us mere mortals will never get to try.

The 1979 Corolla, which was the subject of this thread, just broke the $ 10K mark today. There has been a doubling of the number of bids today. 11 this morning. 21 tonight.

There is still 24 hours to go.  Watch this space !  The Rolla is now assured a selling price of at least 3 times, what it was worth new 42 years ago.

That's a lot of years to wait to triple your money/investment.

If you had invested $ 3000 for 42 years ago at 5% annual compound interest, & never touched it, it would now return you $ 24K.

image.png.96e681ffc24a0970a388d66e0c203def.png

We'll have to get the new owner to join this forum; but then, in the condition the Rolla is in, he/she won't need much assistance.

Cheers Banjo

1 hour ago, Banjo said:

Hi Colin,

More info please. Review, impressions.  You've done something most of us mere mortals will never get to try.

You could get yourself in soooo much trouble in that car, licence wise.

One of the quickest cars I've been in for a long time, not just in acceleration but also cornering.  So refreshing to drive something that is powerful and light.

I think it will be quite the cult classic that car. super cool. 

Maybe i should put my nice shirt on and turn up at a toyota dealership and take one for a spin. Hey why I havent i thought of that before. 

I see the auction has cracked the 10k mark with 3hrs to go....

Edited by ke70dave

There is a note on the auction website today as follows . . .

image.png.1a9facbcf6e0c93c593b73cb57721cf1.png

Anyone know what "Reserve Lifted" means ?

It sounds like it had a reserve of $ 10K on it, & as it has surpassed that mark, the reserve has been met.

However, could it mean, that the reserve has been increased/lifted; & if it doesn't reach that newer/higher amount, the highest bidder does not necessarily win the auction ?

Cheers Banjo

P.S. Just got an email from Collecting Cars, with link to the website that advised, & answered my query as follows.  NO  RESERVE

image.png.9a873793de1c266202b22d7a70760049.png

Edited by Banjo