kurtjmac

1977 TE31 5-Speed Coupe on No-Reserve Bring A Trailer auction

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-toyota-corolla-2/

I'm auctioning my 1977 Toyota Corolla 5-speed coupe on Bring a Trailer, and the auction ends 2-hours from the time of this post. The car is located in Tacoma, WA.

• 2T-C with emissions delete and Weber 32/36.
  • T50 5-speed transmission
  • 14" Mk II Toyota Celica Supra Wheels
  • Repaint, seats reupholstered, new headliner in 2015
  • Original A/C car, but engine components have been removed but are included in sale

I completely forgot I had an account on these forums and should've posted it sooner, but perhaps some RollaClub members might find it of interest regardless, even after the auction ends. Thanks!

001-DriverQuartFront2.jpg

014-PassProfile.jpg

045-Interior-FullDash.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Wow !   What a great project car, with still a few things to do, by the successful purchaser.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-toyota-corolla-2/

Somehow, I had not come across "Bring A Trailer" website before, but I'm sure I'll be trolling it in the future.

Interesting to note, that many of the little quirky things that we are confronted with with our Rollas; like cracking dash top; are universal; even in area's that are not as hot as Australia.

image.png.0e033216ec74a50f60222bfd3e5cc89c.png

The cracks are in exactly the same places, as my KE30 2 door.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Interesting how the TE31 has the S series diff with a 3.9 ratio (S314). The TA22 essentially has the same engine and gearbox but with the T series diff 4.1 ratio (T292).

KE30 usually has the U282 or U292 diff.

@altezzaclub Probably? I stopped tallying what I put in to it after about $6k because it wasn't good for my self-esteem and, like all of us probably do, its all an "experience" cost! (This is how best to justify the hobby.) There was definitely more I wanted to do, but I have a new project that need garage space and the next owner can now make the '77 their own.

@Banjo Yes, Bring a Trailer is a dangerous site, so, you're welcome and I'm sorry! It has morphed from a place to find unique projects (hence the trailer part of the name) to now a mainstream auction site that hosts far more supercars and six-figure antiques. I'm happy to have gotten my 'rolla to qualify to keep the roots of the site alive! As for the cracked dash, the original owner was from Wyoming, very arid and dry, which explains the severity of the cracking, but also the rust-free body.

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the background on "Bring-a-Trailer".  Funny how things start out in one direction; or for one purpose; then morph into something else.

Your explanation as to the origin of your Rolla, begs one question. How did the Rolla originally get from Wyoming to Seattle ?  Was it driven there, or was it really a case of "bring-a-trailer" ?

So what is the "new project" ?

Cheers Banjo

@Banjo I'm not completely sure of my Corolla's journey, as I was the 4th or so owner. Best I can tell the original owner had it in Wyoming until 2014, someone bought it and brought it to Seattle (not sure if they drove it) and started a restoration with the paint and upholstery, but then sold it to who I bought it from in 2018. It was bone stock when I bought it, and the Aisin carb and emissions nest was causing problems so I ditched it all for the standard Weber swap and its been driving great ever since. Assuming all goes to plan, the new owners will be driving to its new home in Nevada! I admire their sense of adventure.

Last fall I found a 1978 280z which is a great driver but is going to require a lot of attention to get the aesthetics back up to spec. The funds from selling my Corolla will help with that, indeed.

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for taking the time to recall the history.  I always love the "back story".  Every older car has one.

By chance, your new project wouldn't be this one, would it  ?

http://www.collectorcarads.com/Datsun-280Z/51361

image.png.5c7a811257957f3a2389fc3f536c412f.png

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo