VVT/VVL solenoid

Sup Gang,

Recently I bought a 2004 Sportivo, and it is in really good shape, aside from the VVTL-I, when i get high in the revs it starts sounding bad. I figured it was a bad solenoid, but I'm having a hard time finding the VVT solenoids for the 2zz, was just wondering if anyone knows if the VVT solenoids are the same on the 1zz?

Thanks,

Lewis

Members dont see this ad

I believe the solenoids are different between 1ZZ and 2ZZ (part numbers are definitely different, but not by much), although some places out there on the internet do call up the same solenoid for both (note that 2ZZs have 2 solenoids, one VVL and one VVT, whilst the 1ZZ only has the VVT one).

Have you checked the lift bolts first?  They're the first port of call on a 2ZZ whenever lift doesn't seem to be functioning properly (although not quite sure what you mean by "sounds bad"), and are a cheap and sometimes easy fix.  Also worthwhile looking at is the filter screens on the solenoids themselves, the solenoids could be fine but the filters clogged.

On 7/10/2021 at 10:53 AM, Hiro Protagonist said:

I believe the solenoids are different between 1ZZ and 2ZZ (part numbers are definitely different, but not by much), although some places out there on the internet do call up the same solenoid for both (note that 2ZZs have 2 solenoids, one VVL and one VVT, whilst the 1ZZ only has the VVT one).

Have you checked the lift bolts first?  They're the first port of call on a 2ZZ whenever lift doesn't seem to be functioning properly (although not quite sure what you mean by "sounds bad"), and are a cheap and sometimes easy fix.  Also worthwhile looking at is the filter screens on the solenoids themselves, the solenoids could be fine but the filters clogged.

Thanks mate, I'll have a look into it

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 10:53 AM, Hiro Protagonist said:

Alright, so i have replaced the lift bolts, they were looking pretty rough, but still all there. Ive tested the solenoids, and both are functional (at least when i put 12v through them). And the filter screens are also clean. I made a friend that used to work at Toyota who has some equipment to manually turn on the solenoids so we can test them.

A further question i have is, could there be any other cause for the noise, which i can only really describe as "screeching" from 4500rmp onwards?