Kennedy98

Hi all , I’ve recently bought an old KE70 wagon that I’m wanting to restore, I’ve noticed under the bonnet there’s a sticker saying that the car can contain asbestos, I know that older cars has asbestos in the brake pads, clutches and some seals, I’m just wondering what else contains asbestos in the car? Does the interior insulation or car underbody coating contain asbestos?

any help or information would be appreciated 

Shane

Members dont see this ad

"Does the interior insulation or car underbody coating contain asbestos? "

No, its why cars explode & burn so well in movies!

Asbestos was used in clutches & brakes, and in some gaskets although that was rare. I've never heard of it in underbody, or seen it in interior insulation.

Generally its easy to identify. Synthetic fibres are all the same diameter, like grass or reeds growing, so they are singular along the edge of say, fibre-cement board.  Natural fibres start off large and split down to small ones, like a tree and its branches, so you see some fat & some thin.  A magnifying glass helps, although a microscope is better.

With covid around any worries about asbestos have vanished!

@altezzaclub thanks for clearing that up, I had a feeling alright it was only in the drivetrain of older cars. It's my first time working on a pre-2000 car and I was just clarifying out of interest more than anything. I've never even seen asbestos as most of it has been removed here in Ireland. "With covid around any worries about asbestos have vanished!, that thought has also pasted through my head.

This is my pride and joy. I bought it in May 2020 (Covid Boredom), it's a 1987 Toyota Corolla KE70 Wagon with 108,000 miles on the clock. The car was running and driving when I bought it, and was previously in a YouTube video on the former owners YouTube channel. It's silver with 50 shades of rust. It is currently a bare shell and I am hoping to start a thread in the project cars section soon enough with the full build starting from the shell to road legal.

ke.thumb.jpg.6f9dc1346f608abcb0d3d647819ac735.jpg

Edited by Kennedy98

...make one of these!!  You will never regret it! 1881095808_Evo5onRoto.thumb.jpg.a057ca494b96d5dc446836d5e7686490.jpg

A shell only weighs a few hundred Kg, this rotisserie is way overbuilt, it rolls 4WD utes!  We slip castors under the feet at the corners and push the whole shell around as we need.  You can make one out of wood if you prefer carpentry, but any simple construction to hold a shell and let it roll over makes body repairs/strengthening so much easier.