AC/Heater Line Firewall Plug

Jake71

Hey guys, I’m looking to remove the heater/AC lines from my 1984 AE71. 

What has everyone done to blank off the holes after removing them? The copper heater pipes have already snapped so I’m not planning on using heat again. AC not necessary either.

I was thinking about welding a plate over the top but my welding ability won’t present the nicest 😂

I’ve seen some people use rubber grommets, is there a specific car that people are taking them from? I’ll go to my local wrecker and look around. Just trying to find something that looks relatively tidy.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Toyota tend to use common parts across the range at the time.  The aircon and heater parts have a lot of commonality.  Many cars didn't have A/C, but still had the holes which were simply blocked with a rubber plug which is common across a wide range of Toyota's.   

if you are going to keep it registered, you need to keep the heater.  Not much to be gained from removing the heater fro a weight perspective either if that's your thinking.  

I had this problem a couple of years ago.  Head off to your nearest Clarke Rubber store, with the dimensions you need, & a 150mm steel ruler.  Amazing the range of rubber bungs & things those guys carry.  Be very surprised, if you can't find something, have decent there, that will plug any body work holes you need to blank, in the engine bay area.

Cheers  Banjo

18 hours ago, parrot said:

Toyota tend to use common parts across the range at the time.  The aircon and heater parts have a lot of commonality.  Many cars didn't have A/C, but still had the holes which were simply blocked with a rubber plug which is common across a wide range of Toyota's.   

if you are going to keep it registered, you need to keep the heater.  Not much to be gained from removing the heater fro a weight perspective either if that's your thinking.  

Thanks for the reply. Not necessarily a weight problem I'm trying to solve. The heater lines behind the firewall are already broken, in my scenario keeping heat for winter or registration purposes isn't required so I don't want to spend time/money fixing them. I'm simply just looking to cover the holes to keep the engine bay tidy. 🙂

13 hours ago, Banjo said:

I had this problem a couple of years ago.  Head off to your nearest Clarke Rubber store, with the dimensions you need, & a 150mm steel ruler.  Amazing the range of rubber bungs & things those guys carry.  Be very surprised, if you can't find something, have decent there, that will plug any body work holes you need to blank, in the engine bay area.

Cheers  Banjo

Good idea, I didn't think of looking there. I'll swing by next weekend. Thanks!