Help with brakes ke70

RussRolla

It's been quite a while since I said I would get some of these bonnet quick release catches.  I did purchase a set, back in late May 2022, but didn't get around to fitting them until a couple of weekends ago.  I had to make a couple of steel plates up, to mount the "ball" locking pins to, as there was no body work directly below, where I wanted the buttons to fit.  They are tricky things to install, because the hole in the bonnet & the pin, must be perfectly aligned & centered.

image.png.460e56a0ab41fc2f9a5ccabec67ce22a.png

I got it all working & centered, but after about the third time I closed the bonnet, one of the locking buttons completely fell to pieces, with little springs etc. falling down in the engine bay.  I collected most of them, & discovered, that the design is very poor.  The ball on the end of the locking pin, self centers, in a little plastic insert in the round latch on the bonnet.  This plastic piece, is threaded into the aluminium button assembly, with a very fine thread. Any side loading on this plastic piece, releases it from the assembly.  A complete waste of time, & I won't be using them again.  Cheap & Nasty !  So I now have two round holes in my bonnet, so am committed to finding a good quick release latch, that is far more substantial.

Anyone used one, that they would recommend.

I like those "olde school" ones, but doubt they are still available.

Cheers Banjo.

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad

Hi Si,

I wasn't thinking about rods & pins quite that utilitarian.  More something like Russell posted earlier in this thread.

IMG_20220415_085606.jpg

I was attracted to the failed ones, I bought, more because they are available in a variety of colours, that doesn't make them so obvious on the car, & blends in a bit, with the existing duco colour.

image.png.510bbc36f857c76c88a463b1dbc43c5d.png

There is a series out of the USA, called Quik-Latch, which appear to be all aluminium, without any plastic components.  Anyone, previously used any of the Quik-Latch products ?

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

We're seeing more of these flush pins on rally cars, still a very positive lock and need to be carefully installed to line up. Usually you have to cut the ribs under the bonnet to get the body of the lock in place.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272689133211

https://www.autoware.com.au/shop/ford-mustang/exterior-ford-mustang/exterior-accessories/aerocatch-plus-flush-bonnet-latch-pin-kit/

The plain old radiator bar mounted ones are still the most foolproof, you just need to remember to put the pins in!

https://www.kingswoodcountry.com.au/buy/speco-chrome-bonnet-hood-lock-pin-kit-clip-lanyard/121540

The sliding version of those with the trapped pin tend to wear out.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/saas-hood-pin-kit---silver/SPO2459321.html

Thanks for those suggestions !

Usually you have to cut the ribs under the bonnet to get the body of the lock in place.

In the case of the Corolla bonnet, I found that, was not necessary.  There are two factory cut-out holes in the bonnet's structural ribs, that are in the perfect position, such they look perfectly "balanced", with the bonnet closed, from the outside.

image.png.5b64e0641d7a783c0877be34c6a4e921.png

The plain old radiator bar mounted ones are still the most foolproof, you just need to remember to put the pins in!

I totally agree; but unfortunately, those holes provided in the bonnet structual ribs, do not align with the radiator mounting bar.

They are forward of the bar.   I just cut a couple of pieces on thick sheet metal, & mounted them to the radiator bar, using bolts already provided.  Worked well, & nice & firm.  No flexing or movement of the plate, when closing the bonnet, & clicking in place.

image.png.b616b3fa857a6e7eb0696899ca128fcf.png

image.png.f01d1537089916f3aa847b4ddd2f6dd7.png

Cheers Banjo

image.png

Edited by Banjo