4AGE Bigport - No Spark

Jake71

Hi All,

I'm coming to the end of my 4AGE bigport swap into an AE71 & I have no spark to the plugs. I've tried connecting a spark plug to the ignition coil directly with a lead, then holding near a ground but no arc. I'm thinking the coil or ignition assembly is bad/wired incorrectly?

The ignition coil has a black/orange wire that gets 12v on "run" and "start". The only other wires going to the coil come from the ignition assembly.

Below is what I've checked so far.

- Coil +ve has 12v when key is in "run" position

- Coil -ve has 12v when key is in "run" position (is this correct?)

- Coil primary resistance is around 1

- Coil secondary resistance is around 13

- Continuity from IGT and IGF ECU Pins to igniter assembly plug

- ECU gets starter signal

- Igniter assembly case is earthed

I don't know anyone with a 4AGE, so can't test their ECU/coil/ignition assembly etc

Does anyone have any ideas on where to go next? If anyone is located in Brisbane/Gold Coast I'd be happy to pay for your time to look into it.

I've got some photos of how my ignition coil/assembly is wired.

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

Members dont see this ad

Ah, you have my sympathy, it drove me mad a few years back when I put a 4AGE in The Girls KE70..

Here's some photos, as I haven't got time to hunt down the real solution until tonight-

Make sure it has 12V to the coil on cranking, not just with ignition on.  Otherwise, check the colours on my wires and see if they compare, read how I did it with the KE70 loom, and take a look through the wiring diagrams. Mine is a bigport, but some diagrams are for smallports.

Here's a bit of my notes on it-

"In the KE70 chassis loom there is a circuit for the ignition B/O and purple wires that runs right around the engine bay, a very handy situation. This takes ignition power from the COR box to a relay I fitted by the 4AGE coil & powered from the battery. This gave Ign power to the coil & I used the purple wire to take the coil-ve signal back to the COR side where it plugs into the KE70 black tacho wire. The KE70 chassis loom supplies the starter motor with power and cranking signal as usual.

So now the KE70 chassis supplies ignition power and cranking power, and receives signals back for the tacho. The KE70 wires for oil pressure and temperature were used, although one was lengthened. I fitted the KE70 temp sensor which gave the correct reading on the dash gauge. Rob tells me there are several different temp senders listed for 4Ks, and they read twice as high as a 4AGE one. When I checked the resistances on mine that was true"

--------------------------------

DB KE70 circuits used.jpg

Di wiring layout offside.jpg

DK Unused wires on 4AGE.jpg

4AGE ECU AE82 diag B.jpg

4AGE ignition Charmant.jpg

Edited by altezzaclub

Thanks for the reply mate!

57 minutes ago, altezzaclub said:

Make sure it has 12V to the coil on cranking, not just with ignition on.

It definitely has 12v to the coil +ve while cracking, triple checked this today.

57 minutes ago, altezzaclub said:

check the colours on my wires and see if they compare, read how I did it with the KE70 loom, and take a look through the wiring diagrams. Mine is a bigport, but some diagrams are for smallports

The colours in mine aren't all the same, but it follows the same setup. I've been testing 12v and continuity all day and I'm sure it's wired the same as your diagrams above. I'm leaning towards a faulty coil? As I can't get it to arc at all. I found a guy nearby selling a bigport coil and igniter for $45, I'll try pick it up next week.

59 minutes ago, altezzaclub said:

Here's some photos, as I haven't got time to hunt down the real solution until tonight

I appreciate the photos you've sent through so far. If you have any other valuable info/photos, it'll be greatly appreciated! might even help someone else 10 years from now.. lol.

I see you have a different igniter to me, I think they are quite specific but I don't know which type works with what coil or ECU. The coils have to be low-impedance so the stock 4K coil doesn't work. Well, I assume they burn the igniter out, but maybe they don't produce  a spark.

My igniter has 19070-70120 & Hr on it, the coil has 90919-02113

Igniter number.jpg

Coil number.jpg

I'm just looking up some stuff for Banjo in the 4AGE manual and I see the primary windings on the coil should be 0.5-0.7ohms, cold, and the secondary between the +ve and the high voltage terminal should be 11-16ohm. Just check your coil is the correct one for a 4AGE.

4AGE dizzy testing.jpg

Edited by altezzaclub