Carol the ke17 corolla sprinter

KE Acky

Hey all 

Been a while since ive been on some forums, just purchased my first ke17 corolla after being out of the corolla scene for a while. Some of you know this green machine i call Carol , shes a old girl thats ready for a makeover. 

Future plans. 

Resto and give her some spice 

Have the exterior period correct way

Interior back to original preferably sl spec. 

Engine either black top 20v or built 2tg. 

Any other cool rollas in nsw keen to meet up one weekend

IMG-20230506-WA0009.jpeg

Snapchat-1750186569.jpg

ad_1682037517836.jpg

ad_1682037513468.jpg

ad_1682037506388.jpg

• Like 1

Members dont see this ad

Welcome back !  Oh WOW, a KE17 Sprinter !  Arn't you a lucky guy.  Carol looks in good shape for a resto.   Will be really keen to see what you discover.

Does it actually run, as it is ?

So many of the KE17-20-25 series now are full of rust, but Carol looks likes she "has been loved", at some time in her life.

Excuse my ignorance, as I've never got up close & personal, with a KE17; but is the circled component below a water heater control & shut off valve ?

image.thumb.png.ee9e718219e7891c24f321caccabd425.png

I've never ever laid eyes on one of them before !

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

There is something about the rear roof rake on the Sprinter models, that was/is so appealing. 

Engine either black top 20v or built 2tg. 

Forget about the 20V or 2TG conversion.

I asked the question on here sometime back.

Who is going to be the first to do an EV conversion on a KE.

Your KE17 Sprinter is perfect.  It would be the first, & only one in the world !

(I Googled it, & couldn't come up with anyone whose done it)

Here is the standard in early model Corolla KE resto.

https://www.wapcar.my/news/goldmine-brand-new-1972-toyota-corolla-sprinter-trueno--4057

No pressure to make yours as good or better than this one.   Love this guy !

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a12475265/teslas-shop-foreman-has-owned-36-first-gen-toyota-corollas-so-far/

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Fingers crossed iam  picking up a low km bt 20v and ae86 t50 box this weekend. Part of me wants to respray carol but the other part wants to leave her as is and do the rest. 

Bannjo  that te27 is gold 

Edited by KE Acky

For what it is worth, I'd be leaving the respray until last.  With a different engine install, there will be a lot of mechanical work necessary, & maybe the engine/s in & out a few times.  Most heart breaking outcome, would be to spray it; then scratch or damage it, during the mechanical side.

Where are you located gegraphically ?  I'd love to have a look at your acquisition, if you are nearby.  To find one of theses KE-17 Sprinters, without substantial rust, is a real find.

Cheers Banjo

2 minutes ago, Banjo said:

For what it is worth, I'd be leaving the respray until last.  With a different engine install, there will be a lot of mechanical work necessary, & maybe the engine/s in & out a few times.  Most heart breaking outcome, would be to spray it; then scratch or damage it, during the mechanical side.

Where are you located gegraphically ?  I'd love to have a look at your acquisition, if you are nearby.  To find one of theses KE-17 Sprinters, without substantial rust, is a real find.

Cheers Banjo

Yeah thats the plan i think work on the mechanical and suspension side of things first. 

I'm in wollongong nsw 

I saw a KE15 years back that had a 2tg in it,  Was no longer running at the time, but they had to do some cutting around the front sub frame to get it to fit.

There isn't a lot of room there even with a K engine.  A 2tg is reasonably bulky. I've got some 2TG's here if you want some rough measurements.  And 16V 4AGE's.

I'm in Berlin at the moment but back in a couple of days.

For a start I'll measure the length of K, A and T block.

4AGE's have been done, and i reckon that may be your best bet, and are reasonably available

7 minutes ago, parrot said:

I saw a KE15 years back that had a 2tg in it,  Was no longer running at the time, but they had to do some cutting around the front sub frame to get it to fit.

There isn't a lot of room there even with a K engine.  A 2tg is reasonably bulky. I've got some 2TG's here if you want some rough measurements.  And 16V 4AGE's.

I'm in Berlin at the moment but back in a couple of days.

For a start I'll measure the length of K, A and T block.

4AGE's have been done, and i reckon that may be your best bet, and are reasonably available

Hey

Yeah not chopping carol up so ive decided Iam going with black top 20v ae86 t50 and still deciding on the diff. I had a bt 20v in my seca sx back in the day and was fun so couldnt imagine how fun it would be in a 700kg car 

Edited by KE Acky

I’ve got an extra TE27 housing I’m thinking about using in mine. I haven’t got too serious at measuring anything yet but with luck the spring mount locations may be close across the two housings. 

if so I can run a 6.7 inch LSD out of an AE86

• 2 months later...

Bit of a update , have started with the with the bt 20v conversion. Using 5he ke conversions  kit i got with the car , t50 gearbox  and a low km auto bt 20v from ae111. Ive pulled the 4k engine and box out and has been sold. Now to dummy it all up for fitting. 

Snapchat-1689846109.jpg

Snapchat-839275782.jpg

Snapchat-1373076679.jpg

20230721_171051.jpg

I'm sorry, but I just have to ask this question !

How the hell did you lift & place the 2 litre twin cam 20V in the rear of the waggon ?

i'm presuming your answer will be . . . . "With Great Difficulty".

Cheers Banjo

4 minutes ago, Banjo said:

I'm sorry, but I just have to ask this question !

How the hell did you lift & place the 2 litre twin cam 20V in the rear of the waggon ?

i'm presuming your answer will be . . . . "With Great Difficulty".

Cheers Banjo

I was waiting for this questionn , more impressive thats a corolla hatch not a wagon , just with engine crane straight in and out. Ive had a 1jz and sr20 in there before too. My daily is a work horse, got to have faith in these rollas