Where to get 19 spline shaft

Rupert

Chasing some advice on where to go hunting for a front shaft for a K40 or K50 gearbox.

I need the shaft for a slightly unusual purpose as I have a 4 tonne compacting roller (tow behind) which is powered by a 1.3 litre Corolla engine. It's been converted with a three belt pulley bolted  straight up to the flywheel. I want to add a clutch to the machine to make it more user friendly. I have a clutch, but no shaft to poke up the centre.

I figured that there must be people on this forum who know where the old gearboxes are buried, hence this plea for help. All I want is the spline and the shaft, the gear is no use to me. I'm based in Tasmania but get about a bit.

Members dont see this ad

Hi Rupert,

I'm sure someone on here will have one somewhere.  Most of us have one in our "special tools draw", which we use as a "clutch plate alignment tool"; rather than those universal tapered ones you buy at SCA & auto tools & parts stores.

image.thumb.png.f6473acfe1a9dbfe75f588270c79b038.png

I'll certainly look around my heap tomorrow, & see if I can help.

P.S.  I'll bet it has been a bit chilly, down Tassie way in the last few days ?

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Thanks Banjo, much appreciated. Reading the forums, it seemed that discussions on installing a stronger gearbox were often based on breaking the original. I figured most people only require one alignment tool and there must be a few broken gearboxes kicking about if only one knew where to look.

Hi Parrot, thanks for the reply. Sorry, I obviously didn't explain what I am after clearly enough.

I need a steel 19 spline shaft to connect to the clutch plate so that I can output the power from the motor. Alignment is not a problem as I don't have a bell housing :)

The shaft will be grafted onto a three belt pulley for the purposes of driving the vibrating mechanism of a roller.

That's an interesting thought. I've been thinking in terms of just a shaft and fabricating from there but a complete gearbox gives the mount for the thrust bearing and properly aligned bearings to support the drive. I'll have to find someone with a Facebook account and investigate.

Thanks Big G. I wasn't able to find the public section but I did get someone to investigate for me. As you said, complete gearboxes available but I realised there's a small problem as the K40 has an integral bell housing. I've snuck various heavy objects home before by dismantling and packing up as luggage. I fly a fair bit so have generous luggage allowances but a gearbox case, with bell housing attached would be stretching the friendship a bit! Add on freight costs and suddenly they aren't cheap anymore.

I've been looking about Tasmania but no luck so far. Wreckers aren't what they used to be!