Info Wanted On Pistons And Jig Of Some Sought. Super Jamie Do You Know

camerondownunder88

Hi,

Other day I got a few parts off NOPSI that used to be Super Jamie parts.

In the box there are some good condition pistons missing the toyota logao and have 040 stamped ont eh top. I am thinking there 40 thou over sized pistons for a 4K but I have a picture here for you buys to have a look and see what you think about them. Also What is the logo inside the piston from could that be the brand?

post-1811-1158229949_thumb.jpg

post-1811-1158229981_thumb.jpg

Ok now for the jig.

This jig was int he box with pistons and push rods so by the looks of it and a guess it looks like aperfect rig to put conrods on to see if there the right size. My guess is that. But why would you need a jig for your conrods? As I know it isnt a jig for putting the gudgen pin in the piston so that one is ruled out. So Super Jamie since oyu were previous owner you don't know what this jig is for by any chance?

So here if a few photos of the jig

post-1811-1158230150_thumb.jpg

side view

post-1811-1158230177_thumb.jpg

top view

post-1811-1158230208_thumb.jpg

side

So any help on this would be appreciated.

Cameron

Members dont see this ad

Ok when you say different bolts in a conrod do you mean the ones on the big end? I though they would be easy to get out. but oh well.

Is there a way to tell if a conrod you have has chev/other bolt in it rather than stock ones?

As these 40 thou pistons look clean as so will probably bead blast them if it wont kill them? And bore my 4K out and whack them in. But they also have rods on them so if they have the bigger stronger bolt in them I'm set if not well I got a jig now to fix that.

Also if I have to change the bolts anyone know what fits good place to get em and any set tensile strengh rating to get them for?

cameron

P.S. Sorry for all these questions.

Hi,

Today I went to an engine reconditioner to see how good these pistons were. He said the tops are all round still and they have collapsed a bit about 1 thou each and the biggest was a 2 thou drop. So just getting a few opinions do you recon it would still be worth while using these pistons if I bore my 4K out?

Also is it hard to get over sized pistons for a 4K? If it is easy and cheap might just keep these one for spares.

Cameron

• 4 weeks later...

The brand of the pistons iam pretty sure are sterling, just like an acl or precision(hypatech) cast piston. To bring the bore clearance back so you can have good ring gap aswell is to HPC coat the skirts with the teflon coating i think its about 20 each just for that but not to sure or you can have the piston resized to a .030" or .020" or even std as most of that sort of piston is made from same blank so will be thick enough but that is the dearer option or when bore it you can bore each cyl to each piston and then gap rings the same.

stu

Hey thanks for that information.

Coating the pistons might not be expensive for me as I can get stuff dipped from chrom to teflon at avation standards for a few beers..lol So Ill look into it.

But with boring the cyclinders to each piston not a bad idea but the pistons when meassured were all the same at the top and on the skirt were shrunk one was less than 1 thou other was 2 thou rest were in between these two. And it was jsut the skirt of the piston so at high RPM I can see the 2 thou one failing first but I don't plan to push hard so it might be best to bore to suit then just install..

Thanks

Cameorn

hahaha, my old parts

the jig is indeed to put bigger rod bolts in K engine rods, no idea if it's for 3k or 4k. try and see

you'd need to choose something f@$king big and strong tho (aftermarket SBC rodbolts for instance), as K engines are already very over-engineered in the rold bolt department

the pistons are ACL 040s as far as i know, though i never really thought about it. the sterling comment above seems more likely, with that logo. google for sterling's website and find out. it doesnt really matter, they're just 040 3/4K engine pistons. you might want to check they're within roundness tolerances before you spend any money on them

the engine i got them out of had had the bore clearances set WAY too tight and cooked itself, as you can see from the score marks up and down the skirts. i only bought that engine for the head anyway, and had to scrap the block

good luck!