Cooling Probs. Found. Cracked Block Pics Up Now.

Members dont see this ad

Head gasket? Could have a slow(ish) leak from a water gallery into combustion chamber (with the throttle closed, idling, engine braking etc), if so it'll get worse and you'll know about it soon enough. Usually you can tell this a mile away though because at least some of the time the car will blow white smoke.

Have you tried replacing the radiator cap? Perhaps it's not allowing pressure to go past it when it needs to, and so instead vents the pressure elsewhere when hot enough, like out of a pinhole leak in a hose you missed (easily done) etc. Radiator caps are bastards like that, but under pressure you should definitely be able to see/hear it venting pressure, then when cool, sucking it back in again.

So yeah my money's on any of the following: head gasket, radiator cap, pinhole leak in a hose.

Edited by archangel62

Head gasket? Could have a slow(ish) leak from a water gallery into combustion chamber (with the throttle closed, idling, engine braking etc), if so it'll get worse and you'll know about it soon enough. Usually you can tell this a mile away though because at least some of the time the car will blow white smoke.

Have you tried replacing the radiator cap? Perhaps it's not allowing pressure to go past it when it needs to, and so instead vents the pressure elsewhere when hot enough, like out of a pinhole leak in a hose you missed (easily done) etc. Radiator caps are bastards like that, but under pressure you should definitely be able to see/hear it venting pressure, then when cool, sucking it back in again.

So yeah my money's on any of the following: head gasket, radiator cap, pinhole leak in a hose.

Yea new radiator cap is on the list anyway, because i lost my decent one. (long story short i forgot to put it on and drove off.)

As for the head gaskit, I have never noticed any white smoke(havent been looking) I will look into replacing it, when dad and i both have a weekend off.

Thanks again for the help.

Just to add another thing i noticed. I used an older radiator cap for a quick drive, when i checked the radiator i noticed that there was coolent in the top of the radiator. As the only coolent in my car is in the overflow bottle, i guess somehow that coolent managed to go back into the top of the radiator from the overflow bottle.WTF?

• 3 weeks later...