Diff Upgrade

brenno500

hey guys i have a ke70 sedan thats going to be used for drifting.

i want to upgrade the diff so it can handle the power and torque of a turboed six cylinder.

i would rather put something in there that i don't have to shorten.

custom mounting isnt a problem.

i would rather disc brake set up and something that is easialy avalible

does anyone know what fits without shortening?

Members dont see this ad
hey guys i have a ke70 sedan thats going to be used for drifting.

i want to upgrade the diff so it can handle the power and torque of a turboed six cylinder.

i would rather put something in there that i don't have to shorten.

custom mounting isnt a problem.

i would rather disc brake set up and something that is easialy avalible

does anyone know what fits without shortening?

this is from an american site i found, its about the 74 model, it it talks bout american Corolla GTSs but I'm sure it would apply to yours sorta...

http://www.bigflea.com/corolla/index.cfm?ContentID=130

"Rearend:

The 73 and 74 SR5 models used a 10-bolt third member section, 6.7" ring gear and 4.1:1 ratio. All other models used an 8-bolt, 6.3" ring gear and 4.1:1 or 3.9:1 ratio. The SR5 rear axle housing has about a 2" wider track, but same leaf spring width. All used drum brakes.

The easiest upgrade is to obtain the complete 74 SR5 rearend. Then find the center differential from an 85 Corolla hatchback (these say "GTS Twin Cam 16" on the doors). These came with a 10-bolt, 6.7" ring gear, 4.3:1 ratio AND a stock limited slip. To mount this into the 74 SR5 rearend, you MUST cut 1/8" off the ends of the axle shafts! Otherwise they will bottom out. You should have a rearend shop set this up, and install new axle bearings while you are at it. Heck, install new pinion bearings as well.

Limited slip differentials are a must for decent performance when powering out of a turn. The 85 GTS stock limited slip is good, but are hard to find in the junk yards. They cost $1400 as a new replacement from Toyota. The other option is to try to find a TRD model.

Custom rearend suggestions:

You can take a complete rearend from an 85 GTS Corolla hatchback, cut the suspension mounts off and weld on leaf spring mounts. These provide the rear disc brakes as well. The only issue is these have an even wider track than the 74 SR5. You might have to use wheels from a front wheel drive car with a large offset to keep the tires inside the fenders.

Another consideration is to have a rearend shop make up a complete custom rearend. Some shops can custom make axle shafts to any length, any bolt pattern, spline count and bearing sizes. They can take any axle housing and shorten it, etc. You can even consider a rearend from an American car, as they are popular for custom shops. This may be overkill unless you are producing over 350 HP.

The Toyota truck 8" diff is very common with off-roaders, and there are many aftermarket limited slips and gear ratios available. This may be perfect for motors making between 200 and 300 HP. My plans are to attempt to combine aftermarket diff parts and narrowed housing from a Toyota truck, with end mounts and disc brakes from a 79 Supra, and have custom axle shafts made to match. "

cheers,

rob