Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

5K Rebuild (Won'T Start)

Featured Replies

Wont necessarily bend valves, remember that you've got the lifters to compress first and then if there's enough clearance in the motor you could get away with it.

 

and for the third time, check comp and check your lifter preload. Otherwise you might be barking up the wrong tree.

I'd say you would get coil bind in the valve springs and strip the rocker pedestal bolt threads in the head before bending valves.

 

So the 5k has the lugs under 1 and 4 spark plug holes? If so you definitely need the shorter pushrods.

  • Author

Will check compression once I get the right pushrods, as the reading will defintely be low at the moment. As for lifter preload, I don't know what that is!

 

Yes my 5K has the lugs under plugs 1 & 4. I've confirmed I need the shortest pushrods.

 

Does anybody know the part number of these things? I phoned Toyota and the reckon they can't find out which is which from their pushrods. I find this ridiculous, but that's what they said. If I can find out the part number of the shortest 5K pushrods, then I can order them new.

 

If anybody wants to part with a set, please let me know.

 

Thanks :)

You may want to get onto CraneCams. They may have something you need. 150mm or 5.9inches ball ends. It doesnt have to be a toyota pushrod. You just need the length and ends.

I'd also question the lifters and rockers if the pushrods are the wrong length. You say there are variables of all components and it's hard to say if its all the same.

I did say in a thread I started, 'K motor pushrod collaboration', that there was at least 4 different pushrods lengths for the 5k engines but changed it after wide criticism from some senior members.

 

I'll buy back what ever you don't end up using out of what I sold you.

Edited by GJM85

Something else to think about.... 5k hydraulic lifters, 156mm datsun pushrods and 4k adjustable rocker gear. You will be able to kill 3-4mm out of the 6mm difference by the adjustable rockers. Assuming preload isn't excessive the hydraulic lifters may be able to take up the other 2mm extra length. Assuming there is no difference in the rocker tower height.

 

BAM!!!

Edited by GJM85

  • Author

Thanks alot!

 

I'll have to give Toyota a call and see if they can find some under that number.

 

Cheers :laff:

  • Author

Motor runs great now, just put the right pushrods in and she fired up first turn of the key!

 

I managed to track down a set of 150 mm pushrods via a Commercial & 4WD wrecker in Adelaide, were NOT easy to find.

 

Thanks to everyone who chipped in and helped me nut this one out! :y:

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.