1978 Ke30 Project (Solid Base To Start)

cup1981

Hey all, I just signed up here, as I just got my first rolla. You can read the history here: http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/53773-n00b-just-checking-in/

Here's what I am starting with. A 1978 Corolla 1,166 cc engine and a four-speed manual trans. It has a pretty solid body, but has a few rust spots and bubbles in the paint. The under carriage needs some new pans and other sheet metal work. The interior is solid but needs reupholstered. Here are tons of pics.

CorollaRF.jpg

CorollaRR.jpg

CorollaLR.jpg

CorollaLF.jpg

CorollainteriorRF.jpg

Corollainstrumentpanel.jpg

Corollainteriorrear.jpg

CorollaEngine.jpg

CorollaLFsidemarkerbroken.jpg

CorollaLRtaillightlens.jpg

Corollarusttop.jpg

Corollarusttrunk.jpg

Corollaundersiderust1.jpg

Corollaundersiderust3.jpg

Corollaundesiderust2.jpg

Corollawindshieldtrimrust2.jpg

Windshieldtrimrust.jpg

More to come...

Members dont see this ad

Here in Indonesia, they like to add more and more wires to try and rig stuff instead of fixing the issue.

Corollabatterymess.jpg

Corollacoilmess.jpg

Corolladashwiringmess.jpg

The only crack in the whole dash.

Corollagoodpartofdash.jpg

Broken grille:

Corollagrillebroked1.jpg

Corollagrillebroken2.jpg

Bubbling paint, definitely some rust under there...

CorollaLRdentandbubbles.jpg

CorollaLRdentrustbubbles.jpg

Broken taillight lens

CorollaLRtaillightlens.jpg

What the hell are these? The "Colder knob I assume was is for the AC, which is hotwired now.

Corollarandomknobs.jpg

Messy paint job

Corollapaintbehindpanelandclips.jpg

Corollapaintinlatch.jpg

Need new license plate lights. Found some on eBay for cheap!

Corollalicenseplatelight.jpg

Rear diff pic

Corollareardiffandexhaust.jpg

The good side of the rear deck

Corollareardeckcenter.jpg

annnd the bad side

Corolladriverreardeckright.jpg

Likely the worlds worse designed glove box...

Corollaglovebox.jpg

Whoa...you do have some work to do! If it makes you feel any better, I've seen plenty of cars with electrical wiring like that over here by people who should know better. :lol:

I now understand the meaning of Indonesian Paint Job... :blinks:

That switch next to the A/C colder knob, could that be a dimmer switch for the dash lights?

Whoa...you do have some work to do! If it makes you feel any better, I've seen plenty of cars with electrical wiring like that over here by people who should know better. :lol:

I now understand the meaning of Indonesian Paint Job... :blinks:

That switch next to the A/C colder knob, could that be a dimmer switch for the dash lights?

Yup, that is the famous Indo paint job. They don't care what it looks like up close, just as long as it looks good from afar.

I was thinking the same as you about the broken switch next to the "Colder" switch, but it is a hard cable. It almost looks like a choke cable, but I though this year had an automatic choke, plus the car never gives any real star-up issues. Might take 2 or 3 times the first time after sitting for a while.

I seriously wonder what goes through some people's heads when they are doing electrical work. Hmmm, it doesn't work, now what. MORE WIRES!! lol There was also a fuse that looked kinda funny to me, so I pulled it out and instead of pay $0.20 for a new fuse, the owner or "mechanic" broke the glass of the fuse and jammed a piece of metal in the fuse to complete the circuit.

Completely ridiculous. Fortunately, it runs like a champ, but it needs a tune-up badly.

Edited by cup1981

Nice Corolla mate, the actuall paint finish looks quite good. Just the preparation has let it down. At least its still getting around in Indonesia! Like you I'm thinking its for the choke thats next to the a/c switch. The dimmer switch for the gauges should be on the rh side of the steering column.

Looks like a good project!

Nice Corolla mate, the actuall paint finish looks quite good. Just the preparation has let it down. At least its still getting around in Indonesia! Like you I'm thinking its for the choke thats next to the a/c switch. The dimmer switch for the gauges should be on the rh side of the steering column.

Looks like a good project!

You're exactly right, overrated. The finish on the paint is pretty good -- smooth and no "orange peel." Unfortunately, there are several runs on the rocker panels, the over-spray is awful and the prepping was not complete. I am willing to put money on the fact that it will have at least 3 other colors under the blue that it is right now. Plus, I bet that the sheet metal will need some serious patch work.

Fortunately, there is a welder right up the road from me that can put some new sheet metal in, the I will fill it afterwards. Once the guy gets me all of the registration info, I can get this party rocking and get some progress pics up.