2-Door Sedan Project

RandomBattle

Hey everyone,

kinda new to the forum and definitely not close to a lot of you (I'm in the states). wanted to show off my 2 door sedan build a little and will probably ask questions along the way because you guys have waaaayyy more support for corollas other than AE86's than we do in the states.

on with the build. i got this car 3 years ago now and was just going to use it as a DD so i didnt have to drive my miata all the time. here is a pic of when i got it.

Image0028_zpsa5734cc6.jpg

it had some issues when i got it... it had an electric fuel pump that was dumping 10 psi into a tired weber 32/36 so it was just pig rich. the exhaust manifold was broken and the exhaust was perforated with holes. also someone had done a "wire tuck" on it (which is my way of saying they chopped up the wiring harness to try and make it cleaner. also those wheels are off something with a 4x108 bolt pattern so the owner had just rounded the holes out to match a 4x114.3... sounds legit. it served well as a daily for about 8 months or so then it managed to spit out the trust washer and spin a main bearing (i may have run it out of oil a direct result of, first my negligence, but also the wire tuck excluding the dummy light for the oil pressure). i was gonna sell it, then i was going to motor swap it, but then i decided to build the all elusive daily driven drifter. and here it goes...

the first obstacle was deciding to keep the 3TC motor. with some looking i found enough parts for the engine to rebuild it from the bare block. you can't see it all because of the windage tray but it got the crank lightened, eagle rods, new OEM pistons (these were hard to get), OEM oil pump, ARP rod bolts, and ARP main studs. also had the block decked a little bit just to make sure things seal up. the machine work was done by M&B cylinder heads.

CAM00005_zps50fc6665.jpg

i sent the cam off to crower cams and had them regrind it to a 268/268. as a result i had to get an adjustable cam gear and i got a kameari hardened chain and new OEM tensioner. also ARP head studs.

CAM00003_zps1b57e206.jpg

the factory valves that were in the head had had it. they had deposits on them so thick that they wouldn't come off after a week in my solvent tank. so the head went off to the machine shop. +1 mm stainless steel valves and a mild port and polish. also decked the head a little bit. the machinist told me the actual compression after decking head and block with OEM pistons should be 9.2:1. i don't know how he got that number but hes normally pretty spot on.

CAM00002_zps2f5aeb3d.jpg

i decided to go with a single DCOE setup. i went this route for a number of reasons. 1. it doesn't really have enough compression for duals 2. duals don't really allow a practical choke circuit (and this is supposed to be my daily) 3. i may turbo this later so ease of tuning. got a manifold that was described as a rough casting... this was no joke. the bolt holes didn't really line up so those had to be hogged out and it had to make a trip to the machine shop for match porting and honing. also they didnt have space for the coolant bypass so that had to be added in also. i went back to a mechanical fuel pump also. OEM of course.

CAM00029.jpg

after getting the head all taken care of and what not i ran into the issue of the center circle of the cam being smaller than factory... so i needed longer push rods. luckily i found a company that makes hardened and lengthened rods. installed those and splurged for rocker collars. also had the rocker shafts micro polished. should be able to spin the engine up a little higher and feel ok about it.

CAM00034.jpg

went with a Aasco lightened flywheel (10 lbs i think) and a exedy clutch/pressure plate. the plan is to run a electric fan also so that the overall rotating mass (lightened crank, no fan and fan clutch, lightened flywheel) should be down pretty far. the motor should spin up pretty quick.

CAM00038.jpg

here's the completed engine on the stand with intake and exhaust bits test fit. ready to go in.

CAM00039_zps58db3d6e.jpg

engine going in...

WP_000392_zps431ac8f9.jpg

engine is in and the valve lash is set. also test fitting the radiator. using a 92-95 civic 3 row aluminum radiator with an electric fan. had to make a trip to the wrecking yard to get the mounts of a civic body and welded them in place on my core support. also using a vibrant vacuum block so that i can maintain the brake booster as well as have the vacuum advance, and a vacuum gauge.

CAM00060_zpsef622384.jpg

switching gears over to suspension bits i put in some lowering springs and new shocks. didn't want to use a coilover as i want this to be a DD that doesn't shake my teeth out. also got a megan racing adjustable panhard rod.

CAM00072_zps43f8ebf4.jpg?t=1366160536

front got megan racing springs also as well as adjustable tension rods and T3 RCA's. also put T3 camber plates in there.

CAM00074_zps01684734.jpg?t=1366503078

back to the engine... when weber sells you a carb they literally leave you to figure out linkage all by yourself. you can buy a kit but thats about it. so i came up with this after some craftiness. also plumbed the vacuum lines, magnecore 8.5mm wires, MSD coil and 6al, and got the dizzy set up and installed. that clear tubing runs to a oil catch tank since the DCOE's have no provisions for that vapor to get back into the intake track.

CAM00087_zpsa9daba0e.jpg

more to come but this is most of what i have done so far. still working on what to do about the rear sway bar. my DX doesn't come equipped with one. so the mounts that are on the rear axle where the result of a really bad welding job by the previous owner. may try to work something out with some u-bolts or something. i also have a bushing kit that i will get around to installing in the near future.

Members dont see this ad