Henry The Ke70 Panel Van

Oh-KE

Hi guys!

Picked this little beauty up tuesday night. It's a standard 1981 KE70 panel van called Henry :yes: I am the second owner! It has 250k on the clock but engine and gearbox were rebuilt about 80k ago. Drives well. It has a straight body but has a little rust in some areas. Interior needs a bit of work.

I used to see this around my house a lot and one day, a few years ago, I pulled up next to it at the servo so I asked the bloke if he would sell, he said he wasn't selling yet but took my number anyway. Then recently, he and his wife contacted me saying they were looking to sell, so I went and had a look. So glad I did! Really nice people and was pleased with the condition of the van. It shows its age in some areas but overall it has been well looked after and was a much loved member of the family.

Things I will do:

-Fix rust (cut and weld new metal in)

-Respray (not sure if I'll do the same yellow or something else)

-Fix up interior (needs dash, carpet front and back, side panels and stereo)

-Chrome bumpers

-Wheels

-Suspension

-Mild engine mods (most likely new carby and exhaust)

-Love it

Things I won't do:

-Fender mirrors

-Flare guards

-Have no rear bumper

-Engine swap

-Drift/skid/thrash it

-Any mods that can't be reversed

Really happy with this car. Can't wait to get to work on it! :)

Guess it's time for some pics :)

Here is the first pic I got of it before I bought it:

photo-41_zpseac31d1c.jpg

This is how I got it: (sorry about poor quality)

IMG_3544_zps7d798580.jpg

IMG_3545_zps5318d8b6.jpg

IMG_3546_zpseea99ba1.jpg

IMG_3547_zps835ec989.jpg

IMG_3550_zpsbfd47448.jpg

IMG_3551_zps923a5ad6.jpg

IMG_3552_zps8d121f44.jpg

IMG_3553_zpsaa7b97dc.jpg

IMG_3555_zps2a646283.jpg

And some pics of areas needing attention:

IMG_3556_zps6dc16344.jpg

IMG_3557_zps78be459e.jpg

IMG_3559_zps8a0ad46f.jpg

IMG_3560_zps283a3266.jpg

IMG_3565_zpsc220a38e.jpg

IMG_3576_zps8499f5ad.jpg

Finally, some action in the shed :D

IMG_3567_zps3bed4dfa.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Oh-KE

Members dont see this ad

Nah I wouldn't say the chapter is closing on the 38. I still drive it nearly every day. Although after it got rear ended (even though not badly) the plans to respray it etc. kinda went out the window especially once I got quotes to fix it. This whole ke70 van cost about the same as what it would cost to fix the 38 which has already been fixed too many times.. So it just made sense to start something new. :)

Plus I have always wanted a pano! :D

Edited by Oh-KE

Nice pick up indeed,

Look on the plate in the engine bay, it should say Toyota made in Japan or something along those lines.

Panelvans were strictly imports, the bonnet, front beaver panel, scuttle panel, grille, guards and light assembly are different to locally produced flat fronts.

Dash fascia, vents and gauges are noticably different to a local e7 too.

I have a magazine from back in the day which stated these were imported in small numbers.

Cool, thanks for the info Ben. I am pretty sure it's imported. The original owner said it was and said he had to wait for it to arrive, but I wasn't sure because this plate says manufactured in Australia so I don't know.. maybe they put this plate on after it got here?

photo1_zpsd3813031.jpg

It also has this plate which looks kind of japanese

photo2_zps9264ecf5.jpg

Yeah Chris that second plate denotes the car being imported from Japan, The Japenese text is a giveaway as I have it on my Liteace van.

The first plate is the compliance plate which Australian Motor Industries (let's call them the importers and assemblers) needed to comply with before that van hit the road. A member Paul has an identical van from October 82 which has a third tag riveted next to the compliance plate stating the frame number which yours doesn't have. I am not at all surprised your van doesn't have this third one as it is one of the early builds.

Here you go, scroll 3/4 down the page and you'll see that extra tag near the brake master cylinder.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/15825-ke70-panelvan/

Edited by Ben-89

Cheers for the info Ben!

Alright, I've started stripping it down. Removed front windscreen and found some more rust that need some serious attention. Also picked up a nice dash which i will paint black along with door cards and other bits.

IMG_1135_zps0061bf74.jpg

Ouch :/

IMG_1131_zps51372249.jpg

IMG_1132_zps60ce9803.jpg

IMG_1120_zps19530562.jpg

• 5 months later...