October 13, 201411 yr comment_689413 Hey guys, was wandering what sort of upgrades there are for the brakes, Can you get the original ones upgraded in anyway Or best to replace with something newer? And any tips on upgrading suspention would be helpful! Thanks Heaps in advance Report
October 13, 201411 yr comment_689423 What are your plans for the car? Unless you're going circuit racing a perfectly adequate solution is to fully recondition the brakes with some new disc rotors (slotted and dimpled if you like), bearings, pads, reconditioned calipers, new or machined drums, new shoes and slave cylinders. Otherwise check out the Rollaclub wikis for info on upgrading suspension and brakes. Report
October 14, 201411 yr Author comment_689442 Know if anyone Who would recondition them around the sunny coast? As what I'd be looking at $$$ wise? Planning have a neat 5k in it, nothing over the top Report
October 14, 201411 yr comment_689449 In that case I'd stick with standard brakes. Have a look on eBay for relative prices of parts. I recently did my rear brake shoes and cylinders for $55 in parts, delivered. Though I didn't bother machining the drums. I get BHSS at Bowen Hills to recondition calipers. You might have something similar nearby, or an ABS or something. As for what a mechanic would charge you to do it - more than the job is worth I expect. Buy yourself a Corolla manual and you might get away with doing it all for a few hundred bucks. It'll stop heaps better than worn out 40 year old brakes. Spend an extra $100-$150 and replace the master cylinder at the same time for extra confidence. Having said all that - brakes shouldn't be trifled with. Read the book a few times and get a mate who half knows what they're doing to help you. Edited October 14, 201411 yr by Mechanical Sympathy Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now