Steering

rehau

Hey Guys, I'm new to this forums, i own a ke30 corolla, my one is the one in the public upload, the ke30 2 dr with the L plates on it, I'm no lerner anymore.

But anyway, to my question, i hate how sloppy my steering box is, and i cbf getting it replaced, what i wanted to know is, is it possible without toooo much hassle to put a ke70 rack and pinion setup in, what work is involed?

thanks.

Members dont see this ad

if you cbf doing a steering box, you definately cbf doing a rack and pinion conversion! the rack bolts to the crossmember, which is different between ke30 and ke70, so you'd need todo chop chop weld weld to your existing crossmember. you might also need to find/make some tie rods that would work, because the ke70 has a larger front track than the ke30

it's not exactly a bolt in job

you can adjust your steering box with the little screw on top. loosen the nut and wind the screw in to make the steering box tighter. if you make it too tight, the wheel won't snap back out of corners. to counter this, wind your castor rods as far forward as they will evenly go

sometimes having the steering box rebuilt is the only way to go, i imagine whatever it's worth would be pretty worth it once you get your car back and it steers like a gokart :)

Thanks for the input guys, now that you put it that way, i might re-consider putting the rack and pinion in, just migh tighten up the current steering box and see how that goes, and just a quick question, is the ke20 2dr, have the same doors, passenger and drivers door as my car, the ke30? because "not happy jan" i found a patch of bog the size of my 2 ass cheeks on the passenger side door, and woundering, seeming my type of car is hard to come by, if the ke20 doors would fit?