Ke15 Tacho Dash Cluster Into A Ke11?

kE20ME

hi guys,

would appreciate any advice / knowledge on this,

from what i can see from the two dash clusters i have (one standard) and one (ke15 sprinter tacho dash)

it physically fits well, from what my owners manual says it was a factory option? along with many other items..

the acelerator cable mount points may be different :jamie: . but will not be able to be swapped as the ke15 item has a tripometer as well.

the main plug has one more pin. although it does fit on the back ke15 cluster everything does not work. as it does not line up properly.

i have amoungst my owners manual and books a wiring diagram for a ke11 and ke15.

I'm thinking the only solution will be to re- wire the main plug so everything lines up and works. possibly use a second plug ke15 one maybe? so that i can always swap back to the original cluster.

i know the tacho will have to be wired seperatley as the loom in the car does not have the standard wires for the tach option. this can just be run from the neg on the coil though.

just thought i would post up here incase somone else has some advice / expereince..

the wiring diagrams are fairly basic and it hopefully shouldnt be to hard to nut it out.

any help is much appreciated.

cheers :y:

henry

Edited by kE20ME

Members dont see this ad

Yeh henry I do have the wisdom BUT ... there's a but....

Yes it's doable. I actually sat down one night and identified all the loom wires in the KE16 plug and then all the pins on the KE17 tacho dash and worked out which ones I had to shift where.

I wrote it down on an A5 pad, pulled the sheet off and put it somewhere..... There's a reasonable chance it's in my glovebox, or my little pouch with my 911 paperwork. Or my desk drawer. You get my drift.

Let me have a geez. That was 2007 but I reckon I can find it. Will check tonight.

Basically, it's pretty easy. The trick is to get a set of those tiny little watchmaker screwdrivers, using a small flathead one you can poke it down the front of the loom plug and pop back the little clasp that holds the contact into the plug and pull it out gently. If you're patient you can swap all the pins around without the need to cut a single wire.

ahhh very nice tom!

yea i have both wiring diagrams, only had a quick look at it.. but i can identify most the wires..

i was thinking of getting another plug and wiring to that and using some connectors...

but it would be even easier with the original plug if you could pop the pins out!!

let me know if you find it man, or want to help swap it round!

cheers

henry

alrighty, I found the bit of paper in my car. Grease stained, dirty and faded, but just legible.

I've added it to the FAQ, I need to get a couple more pictures. LINK

Now just a word of warning; I never finished this, it's unverified at the moment. I actually screwed up a couple of pin contacts and it put me off the job for a long time.

I am 100% that my numbering sequence is correct though, it won't take you long to work out otherwise. let me know how you go Henry.

One last thing, after talking with various people, I don't think you will get the tacho to read accurately from an electric dizzy, something to do with the signal pulse from the coil being a lot weaker but cleaner than a points setup.

I'm sure anyone with a bit of electronic knowhow could knock up a circuit to do the trick, but all my internet trawling for a solution turned up nothing.

Edited by philbey

tom your a legend!

i actually tackled it myself late last night, after reading your first post saying you could pop out the pins! :D

(luckily i got them out without any damage) and between looking at the wiring diagrams i have, my multi-metre and the back of the two dash clusters i worked out the same sequence as you!

i have labelled all the wires, and that just need to physically put it in and check it works!

and run a wire from the neg of the coil to the cluster! (I'm not running an electronic dizzy) so it should read accurate.

cheers again for the help / advice and for doing the tech thread if that was up a few weeks ago i would have been laughing, i was just to lazy to work it out myself, but your post about the pins gave me a push in the right direction!

cheers

henry

Edited by kE20ME

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...