Ke30 / 55 Differences

4DRFRK

Members dont see this ad

Okay, 1974/75 the KE3X's started.

They had a very basic one piece dash. They had strap door handles and very basic seat belts as seat belts became mandatory in 75.

The seats were one piece and vinyl (not sure if cloth was available)

The fuel cap was Chrome and the rear vent had the central stripe chromed too.

The bonnets had Chrome flutes, a criss cross type grill and all chrome bumpers. The engine was a 3K.

An optional extra in the day was a trip meter speedo, a rear demister and maybe even A/C and 5 Speed. Panel vans came out with passenger side mirrors too.

The Cars available in the series were the KE30 two door sedan, KE30 four door sedan, KE35 Hardtop Coupe and the KE36 Panel Van/Wagon.

In 1977 they began to update the KE3X series by changing over Dashes to the KE55 two piece dash. They also received a center console.

They begun to bring out Cloth seats, the door handles were the solid black ones that continued on to the KE55's.

The bumpers remained the same while the bonnet changed with built in vents with the slats going down the bonnet. The grille changed to a more horizontal one. The fuel cap became more of a silver colour while the rear vents became plain black.

The speedo changed with a max speed of 180 (from 160) and the counter went from 6 to 7 digits.

In late 1978 the KE55 was bought out. It had the same dash, different rear vents (more angled), the bonnet received a power bulge, different chrome strip and the vent had slats going across the bonnet. The engine was upgraded from 3K to 4K (1200 to 1300).

The grille was replaced with another which had more chrome and moulded in with the power bulge.

That lasted till 1981 when they updated the car one last time. At this stage KE70's had been out for two years so they had to do something to sell the old shape.

The car received a complete upgrade with Square headlights, new honeycomb grille, narrower chrome strip on the bonnet, new tail lights and door trims that came over the door and up to the window.

Other items that were available on the more expensive models were AM/FM radio, Intermittent wipers, seats with removable headrests, carpet + cloth + vinyl on their door trims, Pockets in the front door trims, Metallic paint, 5 Speed, wrap around bumpers and special rims.

From what i gather the KE55E is the sedan, KE55S is the Auto hardtop (I think), KE55G was the Manual Hardtop and KE38 is the Panno/Wagon.

Other things not mentioned is that the Hardtops had a shelf under the dash.

Well that's all i got. Hope it helps.

Jon.

I just thought I'd add, that I read somewhere that by the time the 55 came out, car makers had to make an Australian content quota, so that means you'll find a number of Aussie made components on a 55 that won't be on a 30, and therefore won't fit a 30 and vice versa.

E.G i bought a blinker stalk assembly from a 55, and it do'nt fit my 30.

Should be but not, the one i have in the car is a jap spec, and i have 77 ke30 one, which is an aussie spec, even says 'made in Sydney'. As does the 55 item.

the wiringdosen't match up, you'd turn the wipers on and parking lights!

And the hazard switch is all different too, which is a shame, cause thats what i bought em for!

Yes the wiring can be changed to make it work.

The hazard light switch is a completely different shape, and wont fit out the hole in the other sort.

I have a KE30 assembly here with a working hazard light switch if you are interested.

PM me and I will send you my details if you want to purchase it