Bought My Car A Present Yesterday...

Hurro!

Well, I'm a little excited... I bought the car (which I'm leaning towards calling TAWNY) a present. I got some SFS performance silicone hoses only two pieces as they're bloody expensive! along with some super dooper hose clamps which will polish up really nicely. The best part is, they're RED :jamie: Now all I have to do is put them on :y: will post pics when they're done.

Lesley :fuzz:

Members dont see this ad

*excuse the ramblings...*

So my excitement has turned to disappointment, I spent 2 hours on the car, broke TWO fingernails AND lost a screwdriver...

I had some time and a burst of energy and thought to myself, I can fit the hoses, shouldn't take too long, 1/2 hour max....looked for MY toolbox for 15 minutes (it wasn't where I left it) took it up to the car and there were bits missing - someone had been in MY toolbox!!! run down to the shed to find tools (man it's scary in there, there is SO much crap!) run back up to the car, had the parts laid out and looked in the engine bay to decide best course of action, knew what I was going to do.....

Open up the tool box, didn't have a bendy socket thingo, or a stubby screwdriver *crap* back down to the shed to find the screwdrivers. Unfortunately, the screwdrivers I did find wouldn't fit into the space I had...so I meccano'ed the socket with the long attachment and shoved in the itty bitty socket screwdriver thing and attempted to loosen the hose clamps, when the screwdriver attachment bit fell into the engine bay (I never managed to find it)part of the reason it fell out was, well, I wasn't strong enough in the wrist to turn the screwdriver, but I got around that by using a 10mm socket over the hose clamp and used the ratchet...much easier... still didn't have enough room though down in the bottom of the engine bay so I decided to take it off further on up the piping...sucess! The second bit of hosing (which was held on with one hose clamp) didn't actually join any piping together, it was totally surpuflous! the only reason I could think of why it was there was perhaps it cushioned the piping when the car was moving by wedging it between the rocker cover and the windscreen water reservoir?

So I put on the 90 degree angle hosing onto the straight bit of piping it went on with a bit of manouvering, got the hose clamp on, looked pretty spiffy! I thought that if I got that bit on it would be fairly straight foward to attach it to the turbo and I could position the hose clamp so it would be easier to undo should the need arise got it all put back together, easy huh? I attempted to attach the 90 degree bit but it seemed loose - run inside to get the verniers, then back out to the car - measured it up and found that the outside diameter of the piping out of the turbo was only 46mm and the inside diameter of the new hose was 51 *crap* :S

So I took it all back off again and tried to figure out what to do with the parts I had. While I was sitting in my front garden holding the bit of piping, I noticed that the paint was, well a bit crappy, I scraped a bit off with my finger nail and it came off REALLY easily, after I broke two fingernails I decided to improvise a bit, I used a screwdriver and a chux and managed to get most of the paint off, then I tried turps and then metholated spirits to get the rest off, without success....think I might get it ceramic coated....

I decided that there really wasn't resolution to the hosing that I could do with the parts I had on hand, so I had to put it all back together again *sigh*. Meanwhile hubby was having a cow because I was running late...finished putting it all back together ran inside to clean up, noticed that there were greasy fingerprints on the door, cupboard, and the wall (I have no idea how they got there), back out to the car to start it up and...the battery was flat! (again!). This time I'd only had the radio on for about 15 minutes! So I called the RAA to get a new battery. Hubby called me to find out where I was, and I managed to clutch start the car in less that 1.5 meters, all by myself! :hmm:

Raced to Hubby, then back home to wait for the RAA. Got a new battery and she's running beatifully.

I reckon I need to find out if theres a 90 degree pipe that's small enough to fit on my turbo that then gradually gets bigger through the bend, have to check it out tomorrow...

The most FRUSTRATING thing is that this shouldn't have been a saga, it should have been all straight forward, but I'm kinda pissed at myself because, well as we all know hindsight is a wonderful thing, I shouldn't have assumed the pipe was, as the parts shop advised, a standard 51mm, I should have checked it myself and secondly, I felt stupid because something as easy as replacing a hose turned out to be well, not entirely difficult, but more of a pain in the arse. But even after been frustrated to hell, burning myself (because I was too eager for the engine to cool down completely), breaking nails (right at the quick!), finding bits of my tool box missing and having to rumage in the shed (where all of the spiders live - and hold their daily meetings), I still had fun :cool:

Lesley :yes: