A Whiring Diff

mullet

Hey there every one,

I have what I believe to be a problem with either my diff or my rear wheel bearings and I am asking your help in diagnosing just what is wrong.

First up the small amount of technical information I know about the diff. She is currently in my Ke35 and was placed there (not by me) about a year ago. She is the Japanese style diff not the Borg Warner, i don't know from what she was transplanted and finally she is making a whirring sound.

I have been told that if it where a pinion bearing or any other sort bearing within the diff the whirring would stop if i placed my foot on the clutch whilst the car is moving. (Is this correct?). The results of this is that the whirring continues, which would mean the wheel bearings(?). But i am also told by my stepfather that for it to be the wheel bearing i would notice a sound change when i turn the car whilst moving(?), this would change the load on the wheel bearings, right?. result, no change. leads him to believe that it is a bearing within the diff.

my question is whether it is just the wheel bearings need replacing or some other bearing within the diff? or what else is damaged and needs replacing?

any help would be appreciated as i am currently in an argument with my step father over what is wrong.

so thanks in advance.

Members dont see this ad