Baskerville 26 April

Jonny Rochester

Rob (KE25/3S-GE) and myself are going to Baskerville just for some slow laps on Saturday the 26th. I will be in the blue TE37. Nothing spectacular is planned. My tyres are old and cheap and I don't have a race seat in the car... unless I get the bug and work on it before then.

We rang the caretaker and he said it's probably available. It would be fun to see a few other corollas out there also.

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
Rob (KE25/3S-GE) and myself are going to Baskerville just for some slow laps on Saturday the 26th. I will be in the blue TE37. Nothing spectacular is planned. My tyres are old and cheap and I don't have a race seat in the car... unless I get the bug and work on it before then.

We rang the caretaker and he said it's probably available. It would be fun to see a few other corollas out there also.

Some clarification about driving styles allowed on the 26th of April.

Last weekend was a drift practise day. This weekend (26th ) is a practise day. NOT a drift practise day. Thought I would clarify that, as there has been some confusion with that.

Don't want people thinking they'll spend their money for a drift practise to find out that is not the case....

I found out today that I got a few laps at 1:11, most at 1:12, instead of the 1:14 later in the day.

A mate of mine timed 12 odd consecutive laps early in the day, around 10am, and then went home, before telling me. Later in the day I couldn't beat 1:14, the track wasn't as grippy. So comparitively, Jonny and my mate Roger were definately quicker, (3 or 4 seconds) but the track wasn't as good in the arvo. Probably explains why I was getting higher speeds down the main straight earlier in the day.

Looking at the video of it will probaby help me improve my times for next time. A quick look at the video showed my racing lines and braking style can do with improvement, but hey, it's my first time on any track. Near the end of the day, on the video, you can see water still spraying up behind the car, even when the track looked dry.

I probably enjoyed the really wet laps the best, learning (and enjoying) this sideways action. I didn't realise how sideways a car could get in my hands, and still be (relatively) controlled. I'd like to get good at that...

A bit of info on my car: 3sge for an MR2.

250lb front springs, and about 1deg neg camber. 19mm sway bar, none on the rear.

Tyres: Firewalk "wide oval" 185/60/14. A cheap brand of bridgestone, what supatool is to Kincrome. They were $100 each.

Well, I verymuch enjoyed my first track day, and the car survived!! But the diff whines alot, and I have a small oil leak, and occasionally the charge light came on. A few things to sort out.

Thanks Jonny for the work and pics.

robj