1998 Corolla

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me.

I have a (Dec) 1998 Corolla Conquest, and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to do a coolant change properly.

Last time I did it I never got all the old coolant out so I really only did a top up. Is there any point in the coolant system to do a complete drain?

Also the mechanic from Ultra Tune said to get specific Toyota spec Coolant for it? Is this correct? I thought most modern Coolants would suit the Corolla?

Grant

Members dont see this ad
Hi all,

I hope someone can help me.

I have a (Dec) 1998 Corolla Conquest, and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to do a coolant change properly.

Last time I did it I never got all the old coolant out so I really only did a top up. Is there any point in the coolant system to do a complete drain?

Also the mechanic from Ultra Tune said to get specific Toyota spec Coolant for it? Is this correct? I thought most modern Coolants would suit the Corolla?

Grant

Without knowing the car, its definitely worth doing a full coolant change once every year or two, depending on mileage.

Modern Toyotas do have a very specific coolant requirement - you can buy genuine stuff (I think its red) or an after market equivalent (also usually red), but definitely make sure that it says it is Toyota specific.

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, I am doing a coolant change, as required, thats why the post is up here?

I'm still information on getting all the old coolant out?

The car has 170,000km, and has full service history, but I thought I would do coolant change due to the high price requested from the service agent.

Grant

Any suggestions

Without knowing the car, its definitely worth doing a full coolant change once every year or two, depending on mileage.

Modern Toyotas do have a very specific coolant requirement - you can buy genuine stuff (I think its red) or an after market equivalent (also usually red), but definitely make sure that it says it is Toyota specific.

Most radiators have a tap at the bottom. Have a look for that. Once you have found it, undo that and the radiator cap and that will drain the majority of the coolant in your system.

Close or screw the tap back in, fill it up with coolant.. make sure the system is well bled. Bobs your uncle. Can also undo the bottom radiator hose if you can't find the tap in the radiator.

If you want to flush it out, you can run the hose through the top of the radiator.. and also the top hose if you are really keen, but I wouldnt think this is too necessary unless the car has been poorly maintained.

If you are still not sure, go out and get yourself a gregorys manual on your car, it will talk you through it step by step.

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, I am doing a coolant change, as required, thats why the post is up here?

I'm still information on getting all the old coolant out?

The car has 170,000km, and has full service history, but I thought I would do coolant change due to the high price requested from the service agent.

Grant

Any suggestions

Thanks for your reply, appreciated.

I have just heard that after the warranty period is finished on any new Toyota, during the next service, they will drain the red coolant and put an after market type in. It seems as though Toyota are finding excessive corrosion to aluminum components in the engine?

Anyone heard more on this?

Most radiators have a tap at the bottom. Have a look for that. Once you have found it, undo that and the radiator cap and that will drain the majority of the coolant in your system.

Close or screw the tap back in, fill it up with coolant.. make sure the system is well bled. Bobs your uncle. Can also undo the bottom radiator hose if you can't find the tap in the radiator.

If you want to flush it out, you can run the hose through the top of the radiator.. and also the top hose if you are really keen, but I wouldnt think this is too necessary unless the car has been poorly maintained.

If you are still not sure, go out and get yourself a gregorys manual on your car, it will talk you through it step by step.

Reckon you are better off posting your question in the tech section rather than the vic specific one. you might get more of a response.

Thanks for your reply, appreciated.

I have just heard that after the warranty period is finished on any new Toyota, during the next service, they will drain the red coolant and put an after market type in. It seems as though Toyota are finding excessive corrosion to aluminum components in the engine?

Anyone heard more on this?

Best thing to do. Bottom hose undo as some radiator taps at the bottom decide to snap if having to be persuaded into moving. Let everything drain out. Make sure u have radiator cap off when doing it to make water leave faster, then throw about 2l of water into it at its current state, to get any funky bits out of the rad, i doubt your engine will be filled with much gunk, nothing to worry about. Bottom hose back on, tightened, then put in specific amount of coolant/water mix as suggested by the manufacturer, don't worry about that red coolant, pretty pathetic. Use industry standard radiator coolant for the age of the vehicle. I work at a radiator shop and this is what we tell some people if they can't afford to get it done by us at the time. requires not much time and not much effort.

Once the coolant is replaced, let the car idle for around 15 minutes, occasionally revving it to make sure pressure and temperature will stay at a consistent level.

Hope this helps in some way

Thanks everyone

Really good replies

Grant

Best thing to do. Bottom hose undo as some radiator taps at the bottom decide to snap if having to be persuaded into moving. Let everything drain out. Make sure u have radiator cap off when doing it to make water leave faster, then throw about 2l of water into it at its current state, to get any funky bits out of the rad, i doubt your engine will be filled with much gunk, nothing to worry about. Bottom hose back on, tightened, then put in specific amount of coolant/water mix as suggested by the manufacturer, don't worry about that red coolant, pretty pathetic. Use industry standard radiator coolant for the age of the vehicle. I work at a radiator shop and this is what we tell some people if they can't afford to get it done by us at the time. requires not much time and not much effort.

Once the coolant is replaced, let the car idle for around 15 minutes, occasionally revving it to make sure pressure and temperature will stay at a consistent level.

Hope this helps in some way