Ke20 Brake Issue

Hi, I have recently put a ke30 boosted twin circuit master cylinder and ke30 front disc with re-built ke20 calipers on my ke20. I did this to improve on the brakes. But they still aren't all that good. I have another ke20 with standard brakes and that will nearly throw you through the window when slamming on the brakes. Where the one with the upgraded brakes, no matter how hard I apply the brakes they don't stop as well. :lol:

I must say that they were like this before i boosted them. They are better with the booster then without but still not as good as they should be, and the booster is working properly as i took it off a ke20 which had good brakes. Also when you put the brakes on they only really start to pull up after the pedal is halfway down, the first half doesn't really do much. :D

The booster is only running half vacuum as I have twin sidedraught webers. The pads, wheel cylinders and linings have been replaced. :y:

I checked out the PBR website and they list 2 different size rear wheel cylinders for the ke20 with disc brakes. I was wondering if i have the wrong ones and also do the proportioning valves give much trouble. :D

Members dont see this ad

may be try some KE30 wheels cylinders , and i would put the KE30 calipers on aswell , try and match to the original KE30 stuff

It's a bit of a can of worms you open up when you try and mix/match different cars brake components , but can be done well , just a bit of trial and error

Any better description of the problem? Do you need to push really hard to get it to stop, is it "spongy", do the brakes firm up if you pump it, is the pedal stroke long etc?

First up, if you think the Vacuum is an issue, go to a brake shop and get a check valve which should improve the vacuum in the booster (Turbos use them).

Can you swap the KE30 drums onto the 20, or even adapt the 30 slave cylinders? As lindsay said, you should try to match the complete system. Otherwise, if you need lots of pedal pressure to get it to stop, it might help going to the larger size KE20 wheel cylinders.

Oh, and make sure your rear drums are properly adjusted before you do anything else!

Edited by philbey

Any better description of the problem? Do you need to push really hard to get it to stop, is it "spongy", do the brakes firm up if you pump it, is the pedal stroke long etc?

First up, if you think the Vacuum is an issue, go to a brake shop and get a check valve which should improve the vacuum in the booster (Turbos use them).

Can you swap the KE30 drums onto the 20, or even adapt the 30 slave cylinders? As lindsay said, you should try to match the complete system. Otherwise, if you need lots of pedal pressure to get it to stop, it might help going to the larger size KE20 wheel cylinders.

Oh, and make sure your rear drums are properly adjusted before you do anything else!

try hoppers stoppers in melb for a brake upgrade kit twin piston calipers, but u gotta run 15' rims minimum