4afc Ac Compressor Problem

Grifty

well all of this started a few days ago, my dad was driving my car then the AC suddenly stopped working. so when he got home i popped open the bonet and had a look and found that the black compressor wire from the compressor had come loose from the main wiring harness. so i put it back in and taped it and it started working again

the next day the compressor suddenley stopped working again but the cable had not come loose, so today i cut the connector on the main wiring harness and decided to run a new wire from the compressor to where the connector used to be(can be seen in the pic) but the compressor still wont turn on. is there a fuse or something i can check because it seems to be a electrical problem or did i wire it up wrong? any help will be appreciated. Thanks

also what is the yellow wire for?

dsc01525qqn.th.jpg

Members dont see this ad

There are a number of things that control your air conditioning.

Firstly, you have to have the heater fan switch on. If one of the speeds doesn't work it will either only work on the speeds that do go or only on High speed.

Next is your A/C fuse, it supplies power to the A/C amplifier, A/C switch and A/C clutch and so on.

Then there is a dual pressure switch, which is usually located on your receiver/drier (it's a tubular steel thing with two small pipes coming out of it, after the outlet of the condenser) this switch will have two pins, check it has power both sides with engine running and fan and A/C switch on.

If power on one side only then it's either out of refrigerant or switch buggered. Although pressure switches rarely fail!

If all this is ok, find the A/C clutch relay and with fan and A/C turned on check that the relay has a power supply to it (seperate fuse) and power coming out. If your not sure if it is on or not just pull it out and plug it in slowly and you'll hear it click.

From the relay the wire goes directly to the clutch and goes to earth through the body or the compressor.

hope this helps..

Ian