Ke3x/5x Brake Booster Onto Ke20

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone here has installed a KE3x/5x brake booster/master onto a ke20?

Ive seen a couple of KE20s with the big ugly rectangular PBR setup (like KE55), was this a factory instalment on the late models?

Curious as to whether the pedal setup or bolt holes in the firewall are different.

Any info much appreciated!

Cheers,

Paul

Members dont see this ad
Why bother?

Just curious as i have all the bits lying around, i like seeing what can be mixed and matched. And have seen a couple of photos of KE2x engine bays with the same setup.

Ive looked at my KE20, KE35, and KE55 today and scoped off the car spares. From the looks of it all it would need is 4 holes drilled through the firewall to mount the booster and possibly a bit of reinforcing, the rest should line up.

this pic was from seabiscuits for sale thread:

post-5296-1243074004_thumb.jpg

Edited by son of stig

By all means change it to a twin system (a very good idea...) but i can't see the point in a booster on a sub 900 kg car, when even "Big brakes" aren't even that big. I've had a 25 for nearly 20 years andd never felt the need.....

the thought of a single system scares me somewhat. I've only driven the one car without vac assist, and the brakes weren't overly brilliant on that, it was a morris 1100 sedan.

I'm going to be the proud owner of a ke11 in the not too distant future, and I'm going to put ke70 front brakes on it, and probably a twin circuit system. The vac assist i will make up my mind when I get there.

On the other side of the whole vac assist argument, I find some cars with too much vac assist somewhat scary as well, a peugeot 407 coupe fitted with a dt17bted4 twin turbo common rail v6 diesel has huge vacuum assist, and if it fails, you CAN'T pull the car up, I've tried, at 20km/hr you swing off the steering wheel and STAND on the brakes and it doesn't really pull up...

Robert.

I've got a VH44 on mine and I'm going to rip it out for two reasons: I'm lacking Vacuum with the Dellorto (plus I can't be bothered tapping into a runner) and the thing takes up a large amount of space in the engine bay.

I'm probably going to upgrade to a Swift/Galant item, and increase diameter which should give me more brake power.

Dwarf, did you use the 17.46mm or the 20.64mm masters? Both the Swift and the Galant run those sizes (I forget the obscure Imperial fractions)

Size always matters. :dance:

Gallant also has a size inbetween as well, I think. I used the GD one, 13/16". Swift one doesn't fit as nice, and I never really liked the one I had. (But hey, it took 15 years for me to change it.....) Haven't driven it with the new one yet though.

Plus side: Swift has remote reservoir. GD is long and thin with compact tanks.

Neg side: Both are worth their weight in myrrh to buy new.

I got quoted 153 for a Galant one from a brake joint, not sure what size though.

Motor traders were about 50 bucks more expensive.

Good deal I thought?

Mazda RX4 master works really nice on a KE10 with minimal modifications to the firewall.

• 2 weeks later...
Size always matters. :bash:

Gallant also has a size inbetween as well, I think. I used the GD one, 13/16". Swift one doesn't fit as nice, and I never really liked the one I had. (But hey, it took 15 years for me to change it.....) Haven't driven it with the new one yet though.

Plus side: Swift has remote reservoir. GD is long and thin with compact tanks.

Neg side: Both are worth their weight in myrrh to buy new.

So the Galant master is sounding like a good idea. I did scope one out at the wreckers last time i was there but didnt have time to pull it off and test fit it on the ke20 thats also there.

Are there any mods involved? ie drilling/enlarging holes, changing of brake line sizes, or changing length of the rod that goes to the pedal?

I can take care of these, just curious before i start the endeavour.

I appreciate the time taken in replies guys.